Painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I haven't done much in plastics, but you obviously need to paint the tubes on most if not all. My question is, what kind of paint do you all use and how long does it need to dry before gluing. Also, if using painted tubes is CA a good choice or Epoxy. I just painted some with Rustoleum 2x and then I figured maybe I should ask.
Thanx
Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

That's what I use, any spray paint should work. After sanding the brass tube wipe it down with paint thinner, there is a lot of oils on the tube. You can also paint inside of the blank, just use a q tip .It is ok to use ca or epoxy, let the paint dry overnight.

Dave

BSea

Like southernclay, I normally paint the inside of the blank rather than the tube. If you use really clear blanks, you'll see the glue. Painting the inside of the blank will give you a smooth finish if your hole is smooth. Sometimes I'll sand the inside of a clearer blank to remove any tool marks from the drill bit.

TonyL

Mostly just the inside of the barrels. I use all of the Rustoleum primers and some of their prime + paint (in one), and the Color Match paints from auto parts stores. I have also tried the Hobby Lobby acrylic paints and both types of Testors (applied with a qtip and brush). I have found spraying to be sloppy, but work best for me. I use 5 minute cure epoxy and one in a while medium CA. If the blank is non-wood but relatively opaque, I will paint the tubes only.

GaryT45

I use 5 minute epoxy and will put a few drops of acrylic paint the same color as the blank into the epoxy, mix it up, them glue the tubes in with the tinted epoxy. Only downside I have seen is that it causes the epoxy to set up really, really fast, so you have to get the tubes glued in quickly.

So everyone is using some form of enamel paint I gather. Will oil paint work? I picked up a few tubes of high pigment oil paint? Or do I need to find a hobby store to buy the small enamel paints for modeling?

Top Bottom