Painting tubes???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

awood6971

I have just begun to make my own PR blanks and some of them are quite see through. I need to paint the tubes and was wondering if just cheap spray paint from walmart would work ok. I am planning on using 2 part epoxy to glue them in. Any help would be great. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
ljpilcher@suddenlink

I paint the inside of the blank with craft paint. The color of the paint can significantly affect the final look of the finished product. Also, just painting the tube can allow bubbles in the glue to show through.

turncrazy43

I paint the inside of the blank with model paints from the hobby store. Use a Q-tip to apply the paint, Let the paint dry over night, then use 5 minute epoxy. The epoxy does not react with the paint so you don't get the bubbles or discoloration caused by the CA, my 2 cents.

greggas

To echo the advise of a few previous posts I find it best to paint the inside of the blank. Painting the tub, especially in more transparent blanks , will tend to show gaps in the glue / epoxy. Painting the inside of the blank eliminates this issue.

I alos use testers, or equivalent, model paint
good luck

I have had good luck using Krylon Acrylic spray paint for tubes and if I want to paint the inside of the blank I use craft acrylic paint from Michaels. You can catch it on sale for $1.00 a bottle and it is also good to mix in the epoxy to color that also.

Karl_99

I definitely recommend painting the inside of the blank. You can vary the color of the final blank by using different colors.
I also learned to avoid Testor's model paint and use acrylic paint from the craft store, especially if you use CA to glue the tubes.

PeetyInMich

I just posted some pics of blanks with various colors reverse painted with spray paint blow down the tubes, and naked (but scuffed up) brass tubes epoxied in after the paint dried overnight.

Tage

I paint the tube and the inside of the blank with spray paint. I find 5 minute epoxy works best and haven't had problems.

Top Bottom