Painting tube or blank question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I just finished reading a thread and posts, one part concerning painting blanks and tubes. I got the idea of this- Has anyone done a contrast or complementary painting of the tube or blank to get away from thaw would be the plain vanilla approach. Example- instead of blue foe a transparent blank, use another color. Hope this thread makes sense. Thanks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I posted one of the links that you probably read.

Look at this link and look at the two different colored pens. The difference is not the blanks (which are the same) but the difference is simply the different color of paint on the inside wall of the blank.

One is painted white inside the transparent blank and the other is painted black inside the blank - and the contrast is very evident.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f19/seeing-believing-reverse-painting-151785/

IS this what your are asking? I may have misunderstood your question.

Last edited:
You can absolutely get different color effects by changing the back painting color. I'm about to release a new line of blanks that are by their nature, a bit translucent. I almost didn't make them in regular kit pen sizes because of this and was just going to focus on the kitless market. However, in my experimenting with them I found that by painting silver, or black, or a matching color you can tweak the look of the finished pen quite a bit and it is kind of nice to have options. I would suggest always painting the blank vs the tube though to hide gluing imperfections.

Woodchipper

Thanks for the replies. Hank, going back to look at the link. You understood my question.
Edit- Looked a the link and noticed my name on the list. Senior moment. Again, thanks. Got a bunch of pens to build. Will try this on a couple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom