Painting Over Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I have an idea that requires me to paint part of the pen. The material is pine and it needs to be covered with CA after painting.

I've read all the threads concerning this subject and there are a number solutions ranging from fingernail polish to auto touch-up paint. The touch-up paint makes more sense IF I can keep it thin enough to cover with CA. I have two questions:

Are there any other solutions?

Should I cover the pine with a thin coating of CA prior to painting or paint directly on the pine itself?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chrisjan

Dont know the reason why you want to paint over wood but... if you have too there's more than one option I know of...

I did some quick pine toys the other day; tops, yo-yo's, knitting Nancies and ornaments for a mobile - quickest way to colour the wood was to use my eldest crayons (like you would use beeswax) and a layer or two of CA - The pine takes the colour nicely if you heat it up - rubbing it while turning...

low_48

Pine would not be my first choice. Soft maple would do much better. Pine has a great difference between the soft and hard yearly growth, and will be difficult to not have that telegraph through the wood. Work on a sample dowel of the material you will want to use before applying finish to the pen. I read lots of furniture questions where the person experiments on the finished piece, then asks how to repair the mess. Save yourself the headaches.

KBs Pensnmore

My partner painted a small animal on a pen using acrylics, onto some citrus (orange tree). I then coated it with 10 coats of CA. The scariest part, was rubbing back the CA, I didn't want to cut it back to far.
I got 2.5 times the price of a normal pen:biggrin:
Kryn

Top Bottom