Painting the inside of tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rafael

Does anyone paint the inside of their tubes?

I'm debating doing it from now on simply because I'm not a big fan of the "shiny brass pen kit tube" look inside pens when people swap refills, look inside the cap, etc.

Or am I over-thinking things?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

The ones I make, I can see flecks of paint coming off, and then you would see paint scratches on the brass inner walls. I just run a rifle bore brush on a cordless drill, remove whatever/shine it, and let it be.

LouCee

That's interesting, I usually do over think things but I had not thought of this. I think I may have to give this some consideration.... possibly? :confused:

Last edited:

Rafael

Over thinking:wink:

Oh probably. But I'm just starting and my "attention to detail" is approaching OCD level. Hell, I just convinced myself to stop sanding all the way up to the highest micromesh grit before doing a CA finish and sanding all the way back up to the highest micromesh grit.

The ones I make, I can see flecks of paint coming off, and then you would see paint scratches on the brass inner walls. I just run a rifle bore brush on a cordless drill, remove whatever/shine it, and let it be.

And here I have a corner of the basement full of gun cleaning stuff! I didn't even think of that... I was thinking of using some of that epoxy model paint just because I don't like some of the scratches left by my pen mill when I square up the blank.

That's interesting, I usually do over think things but I had not thought of this. I think I may have to give this some consideration.... possibly? :confused:

I've just noticed that when you look inside most pens they're not shiny brass. Eventually I want to start doing kitless pens but right now I'm just working on the basics.

So far all the pens I've shown people have gotten the same "wow that's really nice" comments, and I know I'm my harshest critic. But, for me at least, the sense of accomplishment really comes from making something I'm proud of...

Top Bottom