Painting the inside of Blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I have painted the inside of Acrylic, Cactus etc blanks and tubes black but sometimes am not happy with the results. Some turn out great but some turn out dull ie not a striking colour.Too late to find out after turning. I am aware that there are many variables. A simple basic guide may help me. Is there a guide what colours bring out the best results for the various coloured blanks? Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

I use the 5 minute epoxy on the tubes. Found the CA will dull or even remove the paint. I used to use the krylon spray but have switched to testors. Not sure if it makes a difference but in my mind it does.

Rick1708

Like many things, I don't think there's one right answer, but many.

I've had luck painting the inside of the hole with Testors model paint using a cotton swab (q-tip). If it's really dark paint, or a clear blank, I also tint the epoxy. I use a popsicle stick, dip the tip in the paint and then stir up the epoxy. A little paint goes a very long way.

jttheclockman

Choosing colors is not easy but can make a huge difference. The more translucent a blank is the more importance is placed on painting of the tubes. Just remember lighter colors will highlight the light colors n the blank as will dark colors. So work off the lighter colors in the blank. There have been many examples posted here with the use of different colors in the same blank material. Here is one of mine. The lighter color pen has the tubes and inside of the blank painted white and the darker the tubes were blakened. Same blank material but a huge difference in presentation.

CopyofIMGP0451.jpg

Last edited:

PenMan1

I use the 5 minute epoxy on the tubes. Found the CA will dull or even remove the paint. I used to use the krylon spray but have switched to testors. Not sure if it makes a difference but in my mind it does.

+1. I am new to catcus, so as usual, I tried many variations so that when I'm in a hurry I can go into "autopilot" mode. The Testor's and Loctite 5 minute epoxy have become my first choice when reverse painting blanks.

Additonally, I have a small sign company. I use the vinyl used for signs to cover tubes. There is no drying time. It sticks exactly and completely and the sign maker in your community will likely let you empty his garbage and get a lifetime supply of various colors of vinyl.

I have even used vinyl as the tube base for PR cast blanks without issue.

Chasper

I paint the inside of tubes only, I haven't painted tubes in quite some time. I try to match the paint color with the blank color; darker, lighter, contrasting or metalic to produce a different effect. I use Testors mostly, any oil based enamel seems to work equally well, when I want a specific color I can't find I use water based latex and it works also. I glue with CA unless I have reason to believe the paint isn't covering well, then I use tinted epoxy.

If the final turning is dull, I really don't think the problem is the paint inside the hole. The resin may have a pigment that is preventing it from shining, or it may just need more sanding and polishing. When all else fails to make a resin blank shine I put a few coats of CA on it and then polish.

jttheclockman

I have painted tubes myself my question is do you sand them or no after painting?

I do not. I use epoxy and have never had a blank fail. One though you need to make sure the paint is dried and cured and I usually put them in my toaster oven for a few minutes to be sure. 150 degree heat.

Chasper

I have painted tubes myself my question is do you sand them or no after painting?

I do not sand them after painting, I sand them with a chain saw file before painting. I would be concerned that if I sanded them after painting that I would sand through the paint.

bitshird

I use Polyester/acrylic resin dye I also paint the inside of the blanks, but most of the time I just use the dye in my 5 minute epoxy, it only takes a few drops and there is no deterioration of the holding strength or cure time.

Top Bottom