Painting the hole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJohn

I've just received my order of acrylic from BB. I have not attepted to turn one of these yet, and am a bit anxious after reading how the tube shows through. In looking at the past postings on this subject I see that some have suggested painting the hole in the blank. Does this actually work? How do you paint the hole? Can you use the craft acrylic paints that come in the small bottles? Can you also use those paints on the tubes? Will the CA or epoxy cause the paint to come off when you glue the tube in? Sorry for so many questions but I just don't know and I need to be educated. [8)] TIA Texas John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I have been using a quick drying spray enamel paint to paint the tubes. I spray some on a piece of cardboard and use a Q tip to paint the hole in the blank, usually two to three coats. I usually let them dry overnight then use 5 minute epoxy to glue in the tubes. After about two hours the blanks are ready to turn, since the epoxy has fully cured. I haven't had any problems with the paint coming off when using epoxy. I've also used acrylic paints, mostly the Apple Barrel brand with the same results. I can't comment on any other types of glue cause i haven't tried anything else other than epoxy.

gerryr

I think the color you use is largely dependent on how transparent the blank is and what color it is. Plus it depends on what effect you want to acheive. Anthony posted a gorgeous pen made from an amber colored material and it looked to me like he painted the hole black so it had a great 3D effect. If you use epoxy, not the 5 minute kind, you can also add pigment directly to the epoxy, which gives me an idea that I have to try very soon.

mick

I've found that what color you use is dependent on the effect you want to achieve. I once made some "home brew" resin in a green-red swirl...turned one pen out of it and it was ugly as sin ....not to mention transparent. I toyed around with different colors and finally painted the tubes blue and it made a big difference. Where before I had a ugly green and red blank ....I ended up with a very striking teal and burgundy pen! Now I'll often try different colors on different blanks just to see what the effect will be. Don't be afraid to experiment , you'll be pleasantly surprised most of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom