Painting blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSurette

Maybe a lot of you are doing this already, but I just tried using a pipe cleaner, the long type from a craft store, to paint the inside of my blank and it worked great. I got a much more even coat of paint than I ever got with a brush and better coverage, too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I also use q-tips but on some of my cast blanks the inside is rough due to an embedded object and it pulls the cotton off. I have gotten to where I put on a rubber glove and spraypaint the inside. I am liking the pipe cleaner idea.

jeffgrig

Noob question: Why are we painting the inside of the tube again?
I read about painting the tube exterior because of seeing the brass tube through some lighter acrylics, but i don't understand why the interior of the tube is painting.
Can someone explain please?

flyitfast

I read about painting the tube exterior because of seeing the brass tube through some lighter acrylics, but i don't understand why the interior of the tube is painting.

Several reasons to paint the insides of acrylics:.
1. Will give the acrylic some depth and character, depending on the blank color, transparency/transluscenty of the blank, and the color used to paint the inside.
2. If you paint the tube and then glue it in with CA, Acrylic, Gorilla Glue, etc. if the blank is fairly transparent, it will show how well, or not, that the glue fully covered the tube. Bubbles.
3. The way most of us turn, usually the ends of the blank are thinner than the rest of the blank, the tube no matter what color will tend to show through more.
4. Great way for special effects with multiple colors.
5. If you paint the inside of blanks, they need to be as smooth and clean as possible.
6. Never have had any problem with glue not sticking.
7. Using acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby, etc. works well and they have more colors than you can imagine.
8. If using spray paint, best results are had with paint for plastics.
9. QTips work well, and are cheap, for painting with acrylic or Testors model paint. Some use acid brushes and others use pipe cleaners..
10. Use a flashlight to check that you have good coverage with the paint.

My $.03 worth. Hope that is enough.
gordon

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You don't paint the inside of the tube, you paint the inside of the blank where you drilled the hole for the tube.

Several reasons to paint the insides of acrylics:.
1. Will give the acrylic some depth and character, depending on the blank color, transparency/transluscenty of the blank, and the color used to paint the inside.
2. If you paint the tube and then glue it in with CA, Acrylic, Gorilla Glue, etc. if the blank is fairly transparent, it will show how well, or not, that the glue fully covered the tube. Bubbles.
3. The way most of us turn, usually the ends of the blank are thinner than the rest of the blank, the tube no matter what color will tend to show through more.
4. Great way for special effects with multiple colors.
5. If you paint the inside of blanks, they need to be as smooth and clean as possible.
6. Never have had any problem with glue not sticking.
7. Using acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby, etc. works well and they have more colors than you can imagine.
8. If using spray paint, best results are had with paint for plastics.
9. QTips work well, and are cheap, for painting with acrylic or Testors model paint. Some use acid brushes and others use pipe cleaners..
10. Use a flashlight to check that you have good coverage with the paint.

My $.03 worth. Hope that is enough.
gordon
That about sums it up and worth 5 cents.:tongue: I personally us the Krylon fusion paint and it works well but you must let it dry for 24 hrs ish

76winger

Also (fwiw), I usually sand the inside of the blanks before painting to smooth the surface and reduce radial scratches from the drill.

Top Bottom