Paint markers for coloring tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yes I do on some acrylics... I use the Terra Cotta markers that Michael's Craft Stores sells... you find them in the aisle with the small terra cotta pots. They come in all kinds of colors...
I only use epoxy when gluing my tubes and have had no problems...

gerryr

My experience is that you want to paint the inside of the blank. I don't think there's any way you can glue the tubes in with there be air bubbles in whatever adhesive you're using. I just don't know what kind of paint to use or how best to apply it.

LanceD

I use 30 minute epoxy when gluing tubes in and i was wondering if anyone has tried using a drop or two of pigment or acrylic paint mixed with the epoxy. I plan on trying it this week but i just wanted to see if anyone's tried it and how it turned out.

gerryr

Lance,
Under no circumstances should you use acrylic pigment with epoxy-you'll have a gummy mess. I have a good friend who's done a lot more experimenting with this than I and this is his conclusion. Testor's enamel, the little bottles, work extremely well. Just let it set for a couple of days and pour off as much solvent as you can. My first experience with using colored epoxy didn't work terribly well, but I think it was partly that the hole was bigger than it needed to be. If you try it, be sure to really load up the tube with epoxy, even smear some on the blank first and keep adding more as you insert the tube. I think that's the only way it will work correctly.

LanceD

Gerry, I am familiar with testors and pouring off the solvent and use only the pigment. I build fishing rods for a living and have used this technique for "marbelizing" decorative wraps. I have some Pearl Ex pigments and experimented with some of the colors by mixing them with the epoxy. Mixing up parts A and B about the size of a nickel on some cardboard and puttng 3 drops of Pearl Ex pigment and mixing gave the epoxy a good solid opaque tint to it. With the colors available you could just about match up any acrylic blank available. I did put some in the blank and on the tube itself and glued some up tonight. I should be able to turn them this weekend and see how they turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom