Paint, Glue, Turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

I have a really translucent light blue PR blank that I am going to glue in a white tube. Questions are:

1- Should I also paint inside the tube? With what paint?

2- When using only painted tube, which glue will show more clear through the blank, CA or Epoxy?

First time for this. Suggestions and advice appreciated. Thanks,

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Thanks for the reply George. Got the Epoxy, Has to be White Tube but I don't know if I should also paint inside the blank, and if so, what type of paint to use?

Ray

Justturnin

I paint Tube & Hole and use epoxy for glue. You could even add some of the paint (very little) to the epoxy to make it white too.

ironman123

Thanks Chris. I didn't think about adding paint to the epoxy. Would I use just white enamel?

Ray

Last edited:

BSea

I agree with the above. I'd really suggest using blue paint rather than white. White will really wash out the blue color. Something like a sierra that is really thin will turn out almost white with just a hint of blue. Another option is silver, but my 1st choice would be some shade of blue.

ironman123

Thanks for your reply Bob.

The lady wants the white inside. Her choice.

I have a little can of Gloss White Enamel. Is that good for the inside of the blank or do I even need to paint the inside of the blank since the tube is white?

Ray

BSea

The inside of the blank is by far the most important part to paint. The glue will not be totally smooth. If you only paint 1 thing, paint the blank.

KenV

If the blank is more transparent, taking the drill bit scratches out with abrasives will make a difference.

With scratches will be a " textured" appearance. Without scratches will be a smoother appearance.

ironman123

Thanks to you Ken. Makes sense.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this matter.

I fine sanded inside the blank, cleaned it out and painted with Gloss White Rustoleum Enamel. Tomorrow I hope to epoxy the tube in.

Thanks again.

Ray

Jim Smith

Good luck! I hope that your customer understands how much the white paint is going to change the look of the blank.

Jim Smith

I just use model paint and paint the inside of the blank. I usually don't bother with the tube but maybe I should? I paint the inside of the tube when I use paint because you will still see the glue through the acrylic if you don't!

PenMan1

For best "invisable" tube results, first take a QTip loaded with a scratch remover (like Novus II, PlastX, ) and polish the inside of the hole to remove all scuffs and "cloudy" appearances from the drilling procedure. I actually use a long wooden shaft cotton swab loaded in a variable speed drill.

Then PAINT the hole that you drilled in the blank. I usually use two coats of acrylic paint ( CA sometimes puddles the paint on the blank, especially enamel paint), then I either dry the blank in the toaster oven for one hour or let the paint dry naturally over night.

I NEVER paint the tube in this circumstance, but will often tint the epoxy glue used to glue in the tube. When painting both the tube and the blank, the glue drying will produce a "crackle" effect on the painted blank. Additionally, It has been my experience that painting both the tube and the blank INCREASES the chances for glue failure. My guess is that as the glue dries, it pulls the paint up from the tube. as well as away from the blank.

As others have said, use paint SPARINGLY when tinting epoxy paint. This is one of those cases where "less is more".

Respectfully submitted

Last edited:

ironman123

Thanks Mike S. and Andy. Mike in your post you said you paint the "inside" of the tube, in the last part of the post. Don't you mean the outside of the tube?

Andy, I hope mine doesn't crackle. I used 2 coats of Rustoleum Gloss White Enamel. It has been over 24 hours now and no crackle.

Ray

BSea

She does Jim. I slid several colors inside the blank after it had been turned to size for her and she wanted white.

Ray
You turned the blank to size before inserting the tube? I know you can get close, but not all the way to finished size. The reason I ask is because even if it's close, the color is going to be less.

But be sure & post a picture. I'm really curious about the finished product.

ironman123

Bob, I turned the blank to "almost" size of middle at .55, when finished the middle was .50 and the ends were .470.

Trying to get a pic from Photobucket???????

album
didn't work yet.

Ray

Last edited:

BradK12

You might be able to get by with the white Gorilla Glue. I have switched over to it from Epoxy and CA Glue with impressive results. Caution though....it is messy. The two whites (tube and glue) are almost identical too.

Top Bottom