Paint Colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Okay so I've seen a few posts on painting blanks. I get that part and that there are many different ways and types of paint one can use. My question is on colors to use. For example I've seen a few pens that members painted either black or white and one or two silver but does anyone have advice on contrasting colors and brightness of colors? I'm heading to the hobby shop soon as I've finally gotten into non wooden materials and realized today the importance of coloring the inside.

I've included the photos of the pens.

Attachments

• image-1585733614.jpg
    image-1585733614.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I have found painting the inside the same color as the blank works well for lighter colors and helps the colors pop and not darken as much.

Brooks803

Black can make a dramatic change to very translucent blanks. White will only wash out colors and make them pastel. Silver will brighten to an extent.

If you want to keep the blank the same color then use a slightly darker paint than the blank. Bc the barrel is turned so thin it allows in ALOT of light thus making the blank brighter than it looked unturned. Using a paint that's a shade or two darker should keep the turned blank the same color as it was unturned.

I like to use Ceramcoat acrylic paint for reverse painting. A lot of the brighter colors (yellows, pinks, etc.) will need more coats of paint to be opaque enough to hide the barrel. One trick around that is use 1 very good coat of your color choice then use a darker color behind that (I use black). I'm about to show some pens in the SOYP forum that I used that method on if you want to check it out in a few mins.

Edit: Oh and use a good brush! Not those that come with model car paint. Get a good artists brush. Hobby Lobby has them in packs of varying sizes. Great for different size barrels!

Last edited:
Top Bottom