Paint for Bakelite tube and blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have recently acquired three "ruby swirl" bakelite blanks. Have not turned bakelite before this. It looks like painting the blank/tube is in order for best results. Any suggestions for best paint color to use with this specific color blank? Does anyone have pen pictures showing results of using a specified color paint on the blank/tube with ruby swirl? Thanks for any help here: I do not want to experiment on these expensive blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

This is what I have done in the past also. Matches pretty well. When you go with white, you will get a light red color were you turn down near the ends of the barrels (because so thin). Black will make whole blank darker red.

All mine have sold and don't have any to photogragh.

Keith "mrburls"

Here is one of my ruby red swirls. The tube was painted with Testors red that matches the bakelite pretty much.

CaptG

Here is one I powdercoated the tube black.

Attachments

• bakelite 001.jpg
    bakelite 001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 167

SteveG

Thanks for the inputs. I think I will do one with red, one with black, and then see how I feel about the third after that. Will post pics of results if I can ever get the time to figure out how. (BOTH camera and computer challenged!)

va3jff

When you are painting the tubes for these bakelite blanks, what type of glue are you using to ensure that it doesn't react with the paint, or block the color of the tube out completely?

Thanks.

Top Bottom