Paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

Does anyone know how these guys paint their pens. Not the tube but the blank. I was wondering what kind of paint they use and how they finish it afterwards. Damn creative types with their skills and stuff. Anyway I'd like to try my hand at that looks cool.

Thanks

ken69912001

I have an artist paint a few pens for me. She uses acrylic paints and I just use a CA finish on top of it. I have found that you may need to turn it a little under size to account for the thickness of the paint. Also make sure you put about 8 coats of medium CA on before sanding or you could end up losing some of the paint. Calipers are a good way to turn it under size and to get to the final dimensions.

marionquill

You can use any paint really, such as acrylic, acrylic spray, air brush paint...I'd recommend using an oil based paint to help keep the possibility of the paint thinning while adding liquid to it (such as CA glue when final finish). Another way to finish it instead of CA is to dip it in lacqure (4 coats) and MM to 12000.

I wonder if you could get some depth to a painted piece by painting, dipping in lacqure, painting that layer of lacqure, dipping again, etc... Could turn out to be a really nice pen...perhaps I'll try that sometime. Anyway, good luck.

Jason

Top Bottom