Paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Has anyone ever tried this for PR pen blanks? I got it from michaels 2 for $ just wondering.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

That is the type of paint that I use to paint the inside of the drilled hole on thousands of blanks every year. It comes in hundreds of colors, has good coverage, is not affected by the type of adhesive used to glue in the tube, and does not build up so thick that an oversize hole is needed. I have about 70 different colors of it in my shop in. Brand doesn't seem to matter, I buy whatever is cheapest and get it for a little as .79.

I've never tried blending it with resin for coloring blanks.

csr67

I use that same paint. It's about 75 cents with a coupon at Michaels. Apply it with a Q tip. Don't overthink this! It's cheap and it works!

Scotty

It is water based. I don't think it will mix well with PR. I have used oil based paint with PR with good results. It is good for painting the inside of blanks. Michaels will have pigment powder too.

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

I have used the acrylic craft paints to color PR and it works pretty good. It takes quite a bit to get a rich deep color and it also takes longer to set-up/cure. YMMV but it works for me.
Tim.

chartle

Thanks for the help everybody.. I'll check back at Michaels for the pigmeant powder.

They have Pearl Ex powders but don't look in the casting/glue aisle, it's in the aisle of ink for scrap booking. They have two kits of 12 smaller bottles each for around $27. I used two coupons a 40% one and a 50% one to buy both sets.

If you sign up for promos they will send you links to coupons. You can also give them your email address at the register.

I somehow feel I ripped them off.

Philip E

I have a question about this thread. Is the paint the original poster asked about the same paint that I have heard about when people paint the tubes? Is it best to paint the tubes or is it best to paint the inside of the blank? And does it have no effect on Gluing in the tubes?

turncrazy43

In my opinion that paint will work best painting the inside of the blank, but allow to dry overnight. Use epoxy to glue the tubes. If you use CA it will react with the paint and remove at least a part of the paint. It will do the same on painted tubes.

Sabaharr

Michaels also has a third set of pigment powders online. For the ones I use most however I get the larger bottles at Hobby Lobby. They have only about 8 colors but they are single bottles and quite a bit larger than the "Sample" bottles at Michaels. Glad my wife doesn't read this. She works at Michaels.

chartle

Michaels also has a third set of pigment powders online. For the ones I use most however I get the larger bottles at Hobby Lobby. They have only about 8 colors but they are single bottles and quite a bit larger than the "Sample" bottles at Michaels. Glad my wife doesn't read this. She works at Michaels.

Is it a different brand I only find these?

Micheals

Last edited:
I have a question about this thread. Is the paint the original poster asked about the same paint that I have heard about when people paint the tubes? Is it best to paint the tubes or is it best to paint the inside of the blank? And does it have no effect on Gluing in the tubes?

Some people do both. The benefit of painting the inside of the blank is that you wont be able to see the glue or any air bubbles through the blank. If you paint the tube, you might get unlucky and be able to see defects in the glue.

Top Bottom