Paduk and Purple Heart Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncboyntx

Does anyone turn pens from Paduk (not sure about this spelling) or Purpleheart? My experience with these two woods is that it looks great when first planned or sanded but later on it starts to turn dark, so dark in fact, IMO, it ruins the appearance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I've done several Purpleheart pens, and love the darker color. So much so, in fact, that I heat it in the oven to bring out the color.

Mark4583

When I fist started doing pens I did alot of Padauk to learn whith, Turns almost as dark as Walnut, But I gave away alot of pens at first and the darker color wood is what was choosen first, To me I think it looks good, but I also like the darker colors unless its a Burl or has alot of figure in it, then I prefer the lighter.

terrymiller

The purpleheart when baked as Jim say turns a beautiful shade of purple but over time it will fade to almost a grey color. The paduak I have turned several times I lost track of the pens to see how much they faded. If you want to bake the purpleheart I bake mine at 400 for about 20 minutes.

wayneis

They are both very good woods for pens, I prefer the paudauk as it turns dark. I've made several jewelry boxs with Paudauk and they have always been very popular.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom