Packard woodworks pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I just got a Packard catalog. They have some really nice looking pens that I don't remember seeing. Who makes their kits? I have used woodcraft and PSI kits and I would like to try some of the Packard kits but I would prefer to not have to add to my large collection of bushings. Keeping all these kit parts and bushings separated and identified is getting to be a pain. I have not tried any Berea products for that reason. If the Packard kits could be used with any other bushings it would be great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

From the Packard web site the pens look like PSI kits.

Instructions and other info for PSI pens:

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=LIBR&Store_Code=PSI#Anchor-Project-47857

wayneis

Well jimr, I got new's for you:~) If you have been buying kits from Wood Craft you have been turning Berea kits. The kits that Wood Craft sells come from Berea, in fact if you purchase them directly from Berea you can save quite a bit of money. For instance the Classic American Style ballpoint pen that WC sells for $11.50 is the exact same kit that Berea calls a Flat Top Double Twist ballpoint pen and in the same titanium finish Berea sells it for $7.00. WC's Alassic American screw cap rollerball in Black titanium is $15.99 at Berea the same kit is $13.00. Wood Crafts Cigar is $5.99 but you would only pay $4.00 for the same kit at Berea.

Now there are one or two kits that wood Craft has an exclusive on, the Wall Street pen and pencil, the Spider Web Filligree rollerball are the two that come to mind right off but the rest all come from Berea.

What Wood Craft calls their Cobalt Gold is Berea's up-grade gols and what Wood Craft calls their own "Wood Craft Finish" that is Berea's Titanium gold.

Wayne

jimr

That being the case, Wayne, I need to start ordering from Berea. Is there any way to know what name WC gives there kits comparted to the same pen from Berea? I hate the thought of buying all those bushings when I probably have the same thing already. It would be so nice if every called pen kits the same name and you could rely on previously purchased bushings would work. What about the Berea mandrels, don't they have two sizes? Which one fits the WC pen tubes.
Thanks for the info Fred, again it would be so nice to be able to switch kits without having to get new bushings.
Any update on your travel plans, Fred?

If you are going to buy Berea kits you might want to look at Arizona Silhouette and the deals that Bill offers. You may find the prices attractive, not to mention superb service.

No relation here just a satisfied customer.

wayneis

Jim just compare the two catalogs, its pretty easy to figure it out. If you find a kit thats in the WC catalog that is also in the Berea catlog it is a Berea kit and the bushings will match up because they are from Berea also. Yes Berea has two mandrel "rods" but you are only talking about six bucks. Purchase two kits from either Berea or Bill Baumbeck, especially if Bill has it on sale and you have more than enough savings to buy the new rod. I check Bills site out every two weeks because he has great sales, on different kits. Each sale lasts two weeks and its always for different kits. He sells both Berea and Craft Supply USA kits which are my favorits kits. While you at it, you can purchase some of the coolest stabilized blanks around. His shipping is as cheap as it gets. Shipping is one of the best thins about doing business with Bill, say if you want a couple of the Berea kits and one or two of the CSUSA kits, instead of two shipping and handeling charges from those Companies he puts it all together in a Priority box for $3.85, does it get any better. If you are going to turn pens you really need to find out all of the different dealers because it does not stop there. Nope there's POC Pens of Color by Sheila, She is one fine Lady to work with. Then there are the fine people at Woodturnz, if you want Pink Ivory, oh boy its the best. And thats not all because if you want Dymond wood or some other stabilized woods, or if you have your own special wood that you want to have someone stabilize you just have to meet Steve and Carol White at River Ridge Products. Think that I'm done, no way because if you want some really different, interesting and special wood blanks we have David Borek down in Texas. Now thats just a couple of my favorite individuals to do business with and I'm sure that others can chip in some other if thats not enough to get you started.

Oh boy, what a mouth full. I hope I got everyone in this post, but I'm sure that I missed one or two,

Have fun and keep on turnin,

Wayne

G

I have not dealt with POC but I can vouch for the excellent service and pricing from Bill at Arizona Silouhette adn Ryan,Jason and Fritz at Woodturningz.
If you decide to try PSI kits order fro Woodturningz,
You get the second price tier in the Penn State cataologue.In other words if you want one kit you get the 10 kit pricing.

its_virgil

I buy from Berea and use my WC mandrels. Berea does have two sizes of mandrels and their larger pens use the larger dia mandrel, but all ot their kits work fine on the WC mandrels. Maybe I shouldn't say all, but the ones I've made have worked fine and I've made most all of them. Most of the WC & Berea kits have the same name but I compare the catalogs just to be sure. WC sells a pen called the Robusto and Robusto Jr. which are CSUSA Havanna and Havanna JR. You should have no problem using Berea kits with WC bushings. (famous last words) The bushings are guides only(at least for me) and I check all kit part diameters against the wood turnings with callipers. Hope this helps. I mix bushings between the mfgs, but I also mike all wood pieces against the kit parts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jimr
<br />That being the case, Wayne, I need to start ordering from Berea. Is there any way to know what name WC gives there kits comparted to the same pen from Berea? I hate the thought of buying all those bushings when I probably have the same thing already. It would be so nice if every called pen kits the same name and you could rely on previously purchased bushings would work. What about the Berea mandrels, don't they have two sizes? Which one fits the WC pen tubes.
Thanks for the info Fred, again it would be so nice to be able to switch kits without having to get new bushings.

its_virgil

I buy from Berea and use my WC mandrels. Berea does have two sizes of mandrels and their larger pens use the larger dia mandrel, but all ot their kits work fine on the WC mandrels. Maybe I shouldn't say all, but the ones I've made have worked fine and I've made most all of them. Most of the WC & Berea kits have the same name but I compare the catalogs just to be sure. WC sells a pen called the Robusto and Robusto Jr. which are CSUSA Havanna and Havanna JR. You should have no problem using Berea kits with WC bushings. (famous last words) The bushings are guides only(at least for me) and I check all kit part diameters against the wood turnings with callipers. Hope this helps. I mix bushings between the mfgs, but I also mike all wood pieces against the kit parts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jimr
<br />That being the case, Wayne, I need to start ordering from Berea. Is there any way to know what name WC gives there kits comparted to the same pen from Berea? I hate the thought of buying all those bushings when I probably have the same thing already. It would be so nice if every called pen kits the same name and you could rely on previously purchased bushings would work. What about the Berea mandrels, don't they have two sizes? Which one fits the WC pen tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom