p.r.makers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

guts

My sis has some ashes from Mt Saint Helens(about 5 or 6 tablespoons) that she would like to be put in a pr blank (can do)?Semper Fi.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

What's your turn-around time? I can do it later in the spring, once the temps stabilize some. Otherwise, the weather here is too unpredictable at this point.

Randy_

Maybe??....I don't cast PR.....but I do know something about volcanic ash. It is an extremely abrasive material and would be really tough on your tools. I also expect that it would be difficult, if not impossible to sand to a smooth surface. The ash is so much harder than the PR that I think it might not sand flat with the surface of the PR.

Not trying to discourage you from trying......it would be an interesting experiment. Just want to forwarn you that a success might be hard to come by.

A solution for the surface problem might be to turn a blank somewhat undersize and then dip it in "clean" PR to get another coat that had no ash in it. The casters will tell you if that is possible??

clewless

How about rolling a wet (with CA) blank in the ash...think batter dipping and then when dry casting it in PR....kinda an ash cast instead of a snake skin cast...won't be rough on the tools then[:)]

guts

Jim,no big hurry,thanks for the reply,randy i don't think the feel of is is really very important i think she want's it more for a novelty than anything else,ever hear of Burleson?

mick

Another idea would be to coat a set of tubes with the ash and then cast in PR. This would elimate the rough hard properties of the ash as well as making a stunning pen when turned and polished. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom