Oysterwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scroller99

I was looking through my useful woods book and came across a pic of oysterwood has anyone heard or turned this wood? it looks like it has wonderful figure and should make an awesome pen. they say it grows in cuba and sometimes in Florida? thanks Howard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Howard, it is also known as crabwood and is apparently grown as an ornamental shrub in Florida. Maybe some of our Florida members will chime in with more informatin and potentially a source.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wdcav1952

Howard, it is also known as crabwood and is apparently grown as an ornamental shrub in Florida. Maybe some of our Florida members will chime in with more information and potentially a source.

On the other hand, maybe not:D

ken69912001

A friend of mine just recently gave me two pieces of oysterwood. Unfortunately they are only big enough to turn slimlines from it. I cant tell what the grain looks like as it has some age.I believe he had got this from Florida during a meeting of the International Wood Collectors Society. There may be enough of my wood to make about 8 slimlines.

M

monkeynutz

Been in FL all my life, and know a little bit about oysterwood. It grows mainly in southernmost FL (farther south than me). It looks more like a BIG shrub than a tree, but left untrimmed, the "trunks" can get maybe 8" thick. I have not worked with the wood myself, but have seen some used in furniture, mostly for inlays and veneers. What I have seen does have some very nice figure, with a pleasing contrast between shades. I will try to find photos and leave a link here.

Top Bottom