Owning your own tree source for pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

Hope this is ok putting in this forum, it does deal with penturning, eventually.
Has anyone ever heard of purchasing your own trees to grow on a plantation? Apparently, you can do this and after 25 years you can have the tree or sell it or use it for an IRA, putting your kids through college, etc...

I am wondering if any of our penturners on this site do this to produce there own turning material, etc... The site I read about this on is www.tropicaltreefarms.com.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I don't think I have the patience to wait that long...and like Lou, I may not be here 25 years from now (but hoping to be [:D])

I just bought a chainsaw and started collecting from sidewalks and construction sites. So much easier and faster too. The big bonus is the thrill of the hunt [;)]

JimGo

Interesting idea Mike! I was actually thinking of trying to import some BOW cut-off limbs that I could re-grow here for my own pen turning use.

J. Fred Muggs

If you don't expect to be here 25 years from now do a google for "paulownia". It's a very fast growing wood. There are plantations out there growing it who claim to have a harvestable tree in 8 years.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Those guys are betting you die before the trees are harvested and your heirs don't remember you were ever that stupid to invest in a South American tree farm... [:p][:p]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Imagine putting that in your will: one tree at latitude x longitude y in country z...not to be cut untill 20?? [:)]

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Those guys are betting you die before the trees are harvested and your heirs don't remember you were ever that stupid to invest in a South American tree farm... [:p][:p]

Read the fine print:

"100 seedlings" not saplings, not trees at $2,500 to $4,500 per hundred

"Harvest: Well will periodically thin your trees to make room for your remaining trees."

FWIW, Last November I purchased 200, 3 year old Blue Spruce saplings at a cost of $75.00.

jenamison

Well I'm glad I stepped in a pile of sh-- and got so much positive feedback today. I guess I read my calendar wrong today, I thought it would be a good day. Sorry, forget I mentioned it. Thought it was pretty neat.

Dario

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Well I'm glad I stepped in a pile of sh-- and got so much positive feedback today. I guess I read my calendar wrong today, I thought it would be a good day. Sorry, forget I mentioned it. Thought it was pretty neat.

Don't be sorry...your intention was good. We just have other views that's all. Makes for good conversation...that by itself is good reason enough. [:)]

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Well I'm glad I stepped in a pile of sh-- and got so much positive feedback today. I guess I read my calendar wrong today, I thought it would be a good day. Sorry, forget I mentioned it. Thought it was pretty neat.

Don't be sorry...your intention was good. We just have other views that's all. Makes for good conversation...that by itself is good reason enough. [:)]

Agreed, it was interesting to look at. Not your fault these guys are a bit shady.

Originally posted by J. Fred Muggs
<br />If you don't expect to be here 25 years from now do a google for "paulownia". It's a very fast growing wood. There are plantations out there growing it who claim to have a harvestable tree in 8 years.

Definitely worth looking into. I just did a lot of research on fast growing trees. (need 2 for quick shape in front of the shop)
The paulownia (aka empress tree, princess tree) typically grows to harvestable lumber in 8-10 years in the South. The lumber is very light but very strong, won't warp and won't shrink during drying.
This info didn't come from suppliers selling plantings, it is from several universities.
I planted 2 little 1 foot tall sprouts last week. Each had new leaves just starting to come out of the trunkette. Today, each has little 'limbs' 6 inches above the top of the trunk.
Time will tell.
ken

Dario

I have a neighbor before who planted a Paulonia sapling and it was taller than his house 2 years later (if memory serves me right). I'll try to pass by that area and report back how big it is now...if it is still there. It should be 5-6 years old now.

ilikewood

Mike, it IS an interesting idea and neat to look at...it is the company doing the advert that is sounds kinda shady.

I would suggest for an investment, go buy that much worth in lumber of Cocobolo or other rare wood and just safely store it for the next 20 years. Probably would be worth a fortune in that time. In the last 2 years, several of these woods have nearly doubled in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom