Overzealous barrel trimming problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I was prepping a blank, cut to length, drilled fine, and brass tube glued in well. I wasn't paying close enough attention, and I didn't measure even after I suspected I fouled up (mistake #2:rolleyes:) but I ran the barrel trimmer into the brass tube about 1/8". Soooo....I've got the pen assembled and the refill protrudes about 1/16-1/32 to far, won't fully retract into pen.
What I am looking for help on is, whether or not someone has a tip on how to cure this issue, I was wondering if I could simply drill out a small amount at a time of the plastic insert in the transmission, such that the tip will retract into the body of the pen enough to be acceptable. This is a for sale pen, so I need for this to be a permanent fix, I am not going to put into personal use stock, or I would just trim down the refill A tad bit.

Any info input is appreciated--Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Don, I lost my barrel stretcher. Looked all over the place for it.

I think it is time to use a spare tube set and rebuild if you are sending it out. I have several in my "shop pen" assortment with flaws, but do not let them get out the door.

Fish30114

Yeah, I hear ya Ken--wish there was one from time to time--I don't have any of the tubes for this pen in my inventory, guess I just need to order some---have you ever tried drilling out a transmission?

Fish30114

It's a civil war pen, the transmission threads into the finial fitting that is pressed into the tube on the rear of the pen. There's no obvious way to keep the refill from extending that last little bit...it would be great if there was adjustable transmissions, or transmission washers!!!

its_virgil

This problem, for me at least, is why using a pen mill in a drill press or a hand held drill is not the best choice. You didn't say why or how you managed to mill that much off the barrel. It is more efficient to cut the blanks closer to correct length and milling off as little material as possible. I use a pen mill as hand tool held with a screwdriver like handle. Sanding mills work well also. This is probably not what you wanted to hear.

Proper repair would be to disassemble and make the pen over. I know, hate to lose the blank but doing the proper repair will pay in the long run. These are just my thoughts. Do with them what you wish. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

magpens

I am not familiar with the Civil War pen but I am looking at the PSI instruction sheet. Is it possible to disassemble the pen and put a washer (which you would probably have to make) at each end of the barrel to make up the difference in length you require. The 2 washers could go under the lip of the tip nut and the lip of the sleeve. The washers could be made of a material which is a color contrast to the barrel and of the same O.D. as the barrel. When re-assembling, I would put a little bit of epoxy inside both ends of the barrel to better hold the re-inserted tip nut and sleeve. Just a thought.

Joey-Nieves

The Parker type transmissions can be carefully adjusted by pushing the top inward to make to tip go out or pushing from the inside out to make the tip retract. It doesn't have very much travel so it may not work.
You can also stretch the tube by returning the pen remove a 1/4" or more and make a decorative insert that protrudes the amount you need. I make thousands of pens a year and I take it personal when I loose a tube, so I don't. Sit and stare at the pen, if you listen it will talk to you, they talk to me all the time.
Joey

magpens

The Parker type transmissions can be carefully adjusted by pushing the top inward to make to tip go out or pushing from the inside out to make the tip retract. It doesn't have very much travel so it may not work.
You can also stretch the tube by returning the pen remove a 1/4" or more and make a decorative insert that protrudes the amount you need. I make thousands of pens a year and I take it personal when I loose a tube, so I don't. Sit and stare at the pen, if you listen it will talk to you, they talk to me all the time.
Joey

:confused::confused::confused: "thousand..s" ??? .... that's like 6 a day (or more) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ???

twinsen

oh, I've got this one fish. Simply get a little more material, 1/8 inch, drill it out, glue it to the blank that you already have. turn it down to size and then glue the back sleeve into it. The back sleeve will partially go into the tube and partially support the additional material that you glued onto the blank.

Fish30114

Mal, I like the washer idea, any suggestions on what to make them from?
I do like the idea of a decorative trim ring also, do you make a piece with a section of tube in it? I'm not sure a 'ring' of wood would be cool long term.

Thanks for all the thoughts, keep em coming!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
oh, I've got this one fish. Simply get a little more material, 1/8 inch, drill it out, glue it to the blank that you already have. turn it down to size and then glue the back sleeve into it. The back sleeve will partially go into the tube and partially support the additional material that you glued onto the blank.

Yup, that works great. You may want to also part off 1/8"-1/4" down to the tube and then glue the added material (predrilled). ...If you drill out a bigger hole on the center band side, then you can overlap the center band... Or do without it.

magpens

I suggest a sheet of stiff vinyl of the appropriate thickness (color = black ??).

Where to get the vinyl? Perhaps an office supply like Staples ... they sell 81/2"x11" binders ( about 1/2" ring size ) with flexible vinyl covers.

How to get the hole the right size, I do not know .... sorry .... maybe a hollow punch of near the right size. Here is one supplier of those in Canada. Harbor Freight would have them:

Buy Hollow Punch Set 9pc at Busy Bee Tools

You could use a piece of aluminum or copper of appropriate thickness.
I would think a pop can is too thin.

Let us know what you decide on whichever route you take. :)

Mal, I like the washer idea, any suggestions on what to make them from?
I do like the idea of a decorative trim ring also, do you make a piece with a section of tube in it? I'm not sure a 'ring' of wood would be cool long term.

Thanks for all the thoughts, keep em coming!

TonyL

Not an answer to your question (I use a sander after messing-up many with a BT, especially the homemade PR, Alumilite and mixed materials blanks). However, I was surprised by how many over-trimmed tube and blanks I can reuse in a both action, key chain, stylus, LED or other kit. If I were going to keep the pen for myself, I shave off what I could from the plastic end of the refill.

WriteON

The 2 washers could go under the lip of the tip nut and the lip of the sleeve. The washers could be made of a material which is a color contrast to the barrel and of the same O.D. as the barrel.

Excellent Idea.... I'm looking at a Civil right now. There might be just enough space (top and bottom) for a thin washer....however getting a perfect fit might be a hassle and not worth the agg...might be simpler to start over. Use the current blank for something else.

Top Bottom