Oversized hole & glue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

I drilled a couple long pieces of acrylic for a project than I'm doing and it requires 7mm tubes. After I drilled the holes, they are bigger than the tubes. Something like the picture I attached. Now I got to wondering if I use something like Gorilla Glue which expands, to glue my tubes in, will it work? Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmlewis

How oversized are they? some 7mm kits get pretty thin at the ends and you could turn right through the blank if the hole is too large

Silverado

My suggestion is too throw it away and start over. Tried working these to a finished pen and never been satisfied.

Rcd567

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll have to try. These aren't going to be pens exactly but they need to be close. The problem as I see it is drilling those long holes. My drill press doesn't go that deep so I'm using my lathe. In doing so, I extend the bit forward as far as it will go, shut it down, move the end piece closer as I take up the slack and start over again. I have to do this three times and somewhere during the starting and stopping I get an oversized hole.

I've not shutting the lathe down and simply moving the end piece closer but I get some chatter when I loosen it, which makes for an even larger hole. I'll pick up some glue tomorrow and try it and see how it works out.

StephenM

As long as it hasn't been turned yet, it isn't required (unless the hole is so far out that it will be exposed when the blank is turned down).

KenV

Bob,

Your process for drilling on the lathe will continue to give you this kind of "sloppy" holes. Lathes are able , with careful processes of giving precise results, or without those processes, sloppy results. See Don Ward's book or Doc Greens book on work holding as good process references.

I suspect your process gave you a lot more "slop" on one end of the blank (tailstock end). Unless you can even up the hole, you will likely not be able to "sleeve" the hole. A PSI 8 mm PENCIL tube makes an excellent slip fit sleeve for a 7 mm tube. You may be able to sleeve part of the blank and achieve a more concentric fit. A bit of epoxy or loctite will hold the 7mm tube in the sleeve.

You can also fill and redrill to provide a better concentric fit.

If being concentric is not a concern, just use epoxy and move ahead.

Dan26

Not sure if it would work, but what if you drilled a smaller hole first, like 1/8", most of the way through first. Then drill a larger hole until you get the size you need. I think there would be less wandering of the drill bit this way. Just a thought.-

Top Bottom