Overkill??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't think I could get that thing into my shop - let alone get the money out of my bank account to buy it. :)

designer

Yes it is overkill. Big Time!
Plan on a new electric line to your shop area. You will need a specialized transformer to convert single phase to 3 phase 220 or 440 volts depending on the machine.
Wood tends to jam up under the wipers on the ways as well. It will turn wood, just not designed to be used for that.
Did you have a sideline of making large bearings or machining shafts for equipment? That is more along the lines of this machine.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dont listen the the nay sayers in this forum. It is perfect for turning pens. Why the rigidity of the ways alone mean sub .0001 accuracy. Out of round on your pens will have to be measured with a laser. But the best part of all is you can turn up to at least 20 pens at once on a 80 inch mandrell. Sure you need 3 phase power who wouldnt with that beast but you can buy phase converters.
You would be THE MAN among men of the pen turning world. A 12 x 36 would be a childs toy to your lathe. As for price, at 20 pens at once and hundreds of bushing sets at a time you could sell enough to pay for that lathe in no time. Only the small minded and weak cannot see the glory and fame that awaits you.
If you think that lathe is expensive try buying a boat. A boat wont make things like a lathe can and gas is much more expensive that electricity. I say you go for it.

denniszoomy

Hey That would go with my pen blank order.

Dennis

Attachments

• Pen Blank.jpg
    Pen Blank.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 124

Hendu3270

Dont listen the the nay sayers in this forum. It is perfect for turning pens. Why the rigidity of the ways alone mean sub .0001 accuracy. Out of round on your pens will have to be measured with a laser. But the best part of all is you can turn up to at least 20 pens at once on a 80 inch mandrell. Sure you need 3 phase power who wouldnt with that beast but you can buy phase converters.
You would be THE MAN among men of the pen turning world. A 12 x 36 would be a childs toy to your lathe. As for price, at 20 pens at once and hundreds of bushing sets at a time you could sell enough to pay for that lathe in no time. Only the small minded and weak cannot see the glory and fame that awaits you.
If you think that lathe is expensive try buying a boat. A boat wont make things like a lathe can and gas is much more expensive that electricity. I say you go for it.

That pretty much sums it up.

So meet up at Allen's place to set things up then everyone????:biggrin:

WriteON

Is it an overkill? Is a BullFrog waterproof?:big grin:
I would like for making pool cues, canes, bats, toothpicks.

Cmiles1985

Here's one of the small lathes at work that I'm hoping to get some lessons on:

The small chuck:

I couldn't fit a close up of Abe's face and the whole chuck in one photo!
How about a little live center to work with?

And I figured I'd get a shot of the largest drill laying around:

So, I'll try to get some lessons and make a pen that fits the lathe...look out PITH partner!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom