In over my head?!?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Well, me and my big mouth may have got myself into trouble.[:0]
I have only been turning for a few months now and have done about 15 pens or so. Mostly twists and cigars.
My mother called earlier and said that one of the Doctors that she works with saw the pen that I had made for her and wanted to know if I could fountain pens....and what did I say? Heck ya, I can do fountain pens! [8D] the good thing about it is she told him that I had told her some of the higher quality pens may run upwards to around $100. She said that he didn't blink an eye and said that quality fountains are quite expensive.[:p]
I guess what I need to know, is there anything inparticular I need to know about fountains before I dive into this? Is there any instructions anywhere I can read and study on them (assembly, how they work)?
Thanks guys! (and gals);)
Micah

ldimick

First thing I would do is search for posts on fountain pens. Tom and Anthony have shared a lot of information and links here.

Until this week I would not have made a FP from any kit except for the ones that CSUSA sells. Then I talked to Anthony and he said that the plastic ones are good because when they get scratched up they are black all of the way through and it's not noticeable. Also easy to buff.

I also browse through pen magazines, web sites and stores to get an idea of what is available to our customers.

Good luck and be sure to post your pen.

PS $100 for a nice FP is a bargain. IMHO the Statesman, Emperor and Gentlemans pens all write better than some $100 pens.

PenWorks

Micah, if you can make a pen, you can make a FP. The only thing different you screw in a nib instead of a roller front section. I would buy and make one for yourself as well. This way you can become familar with it and how they work and write. I would suggest a Jr Statesmen or Statesmen for your Dr. Both are very nice pens.
Like Lynn said, if you do a search, you will find a fair share or reading material.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Micah, one other thing I might mention... the doc stated that quality FPs are expensive.. make sure that he is not expecting a solid gold nib at the $100 price... Take a look at Anthony's gold nibs on the Business Classifieds area.
I agree with the Jr Statesman or Statesman for high quality.. but double check your pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom