Outdoor turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdm0829

I bought a mini lathe to take camping. I prep all my blanks before leaving so all I have to do is turn, finish and assemble. The only problem is, I never have enough to last the whole trip. It does gather a few onlookers. Most don't have a clue what a lathe is, and they are so impressed. I have sold some, too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bwftex

I have do all my work out side. Fortunately I like to work outside except when it's real cold. All my shop tools are on benches made with caster wheels that lock. Since we moved I have no work shop. What I have is a 20' trailer I got for free, gutted and am in the process of making into a mini shop. I'll call it a studio when i'm done so that it sounds like it's got some class. Right now its more of a tool storage shed than a shop and I have to install a larger door so I can wheel the table saw in and out. It's kind of a pain setting up the ramp and rolling things in and out all the time but when I'm done it shouldn't be to bad a place to work. Plus if I ever want to hit the road the whole shop can go with me.

KBs Pensnmore

I have do all my work out side. Fortunately I like to work outside except when it's real cold. All my shop tools are on benches made with caster wheels that lock. Since we moved I have no work shop. What I have is a 20' trailer I got for free, gutted and am in the process of making into a mini shop. I'll call it a studio when i'm done so that it sounds like it's got some class. Right now its more of a tool storage shed than a shop and I have to install a larger door so I can wheel the table saw in and out. It's kind of a pain setting up the ramp and rolling things in and out all the time but when I'm done it shouldn't be to bad a place to work. Plus if I ever want to hit the road the whole shop can go with me.

I have mine set up the same way, except mine is mainly for metal work. I have a large door on the back (that lifts up) so I can drive my 4WD into it, also a large door on the side (full length) that lifts up also to become a porch that I can work under, if need be.
It was built to do the same thing, except that now I have wood working tools and equipment to fit in also.:frown: Going to be a tight fit.
The doors lift up with 4 gas struts each working in tandem. I do have a garage that I do my woodwork and pen making in.
Kryn

Last edited:

philipff

Last year I did a craft show here where we all had to demo our craft. My crowd was huge, mostly kids of 7 to 13 years, and the Moms or Dads. One time I looked up and was shocked to see 20 people standing there watching me turn. Great fun and great to talk to the kids.

Gary Beasley

I bought a mini lathe to take camping. I prep all my blanks before leaving so all I have to do is turn, finish and assemble. The only problem is, I never have enough to last the whole trip. It does gather a few onlookers. Most don't have a clue what a lathe is, and they are so impressed. I have sold some, too.

Get a jacobs chuck so you can drill on your lathe, and I've seen a neat little miniature chop saw at Harbor Freight that might have enough balls to cut your blanks. Otherwise a hand powered miter saw will keep you going. That way you can also take dead branches found at the campground and make them into pens too.

Top Bottom