Other materials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

I'm nosing around one of my favorite sites ( smallparts.com) and I'm curious if anyone has tried making pens out of any other platics such as Ultem, Acetal, Rulon J, PTFE, etc.....?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Acetal sound familiar for some reason. Maybe someone has tried that in the past. the only other plastic that comes to mind right off the bat is PVC. I don't recall hearing anything about the others on your list though.

MatthewZS

I don't know too much about them either, but the description on the site sounds like they could be pen worthy and you KNOW how we love something different.

:)

studioso

Most of these plastics are dull white plastics. Why would you waste time to tuen a pen that will look like a toilet fitting?
What sets these plastics apart are not their looks, but their thermal and mechanical properties.

Btw, I would stay away from PVC, if you heated up too much, it will release chloride gas, which can practically melt your lungs...

stolicky

I believe Acetal is essentially UVMH (assuming I got the acronym correct - the slippery stuff!). I got a piece to practice threading with; which I haven't gotten to yet.

I am not sure if glue would even stick to it.

DozerMite

Banned
I believe Acetal is essentially UVMH (assuming I got the acronym correct - the slippery stuff!). I got a piece to practice threading with; which I haven't gotten to yet.

I am not sure if glue would even stick to it.

Acetal is Delrin.

Ultem states it machines nicely with metalworking tools.

PTFE polytetrafluoroethylene also known as teflon by Dupont. It has one of the lowest coefficients of friction against any solid.

Rulon J is another PTFE compound with similar properties.

All slick plastics and would most likely require mechanical fastening rather than adhesion.

Top Bottom