Other glues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This site reaches so many different people and there are tons of people joining every day which makes this a bigger and bigger melting pot of knowledge as we grow. We as pen turners are always looking for that perfect finish that goes on easy, does not cause problems later on and some times trying to avoid bad odors.

Now I am still working on many scrollsawn projects and other woodworking projects in the shop trying to catch up on depleted inventory over the past 3 years. So I do not have the time right now to dedicate towards working on pen turning things. But with that said I am still looking at some alternatives to the CA and epoxy that I use for finishing my pens and also construction segmented blanks and so forth. I asked this question a few years ago and got no response so I will again throw it out there and maybe with some newer members things have changed.

I am looking at a few adhesives. The first one which I asked before about is called Rhino glue.

order

It is a CA glue and from what I can tell only comes in one formula which I got a sample of. I have started a few tests with it. Mainly just basic strength testing with metals and woods. I also spun a wood blank and started doing my usual pen finish technique. Now this CA is the consistency of med CA. So I first sealed the wood as I always do with a couple coats of thin. The next coat is the Rhino glue and so far it looks good. Nice and clear and can be spread easily as other CA glues. I will do a few more coats and then sand and polish. I will continue to test this glue more so after the end of the year.

The other group of glues which includes CA, epoxies and also UV cured glues come from here.

Parson Adhesives | Anaerobic, Acrylic Methacrylic, UV Curable, Cyanoacrylate, Epoxy, Polyurethane Adhesives

So getting back to my question, if anyone has used any of these products feel free to jump in here and gives us some details. Love to hear them. Thanks for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thanks JT. I am going to call them shortly. As you know, I have been using Solarez which has piqued my interest in UV and LED curable glue for pen finishing. I have identified several other companies (but not this one!) that sell similar products, however, non sell to individuals and the minimum quantities are very large.

I do see smaller containers/quantities on their site so I am hoping that they will talk to me about their products. I am going to have my coffee and give them a buzz....then start my day job LOL.

Thanks for the lead!

jttheclockman

Tony as I said I have been looking at this company for some time now but have not had the time or ability to pursue any of their products. But if you get the ball rolling I will be watching. Good luck.

TonyL

Spoke to BJ for 20 minutes just now...very nice and knowledge buy. They are bulk providers, but have distributors. In fact, I am visiting one tonight. His name is Mark Sillay of the AAW (I am a member, perhaps you are too). He only sells one product, the 3408, but uses CA for pens. Tonight he is going to demo his scratch-free finish with no more than 600 grit Nortons SP. We will see. Mark has a ton of YouTube videos and demos all over the country.

I would just call them at 248 299 5585 and tell Parson what you want to do. My only interest is finishing.

Thanks for the lead!

jttheclockman

Are you wearing gloves & respirator when working with either product? Looked up MSDS for Rhino but did not bother with the other one.

http://www.rhinoglue.com/images/RhinoGlueMSDS.pdf

Same as any other CA that is of this type. Nothing new there.

I did some strength testing by gluing some aluminum to wood and some wood to wood. Not impressed there. I will have to do that same test with the Satelite glues that I usually use and see how they fair. I have not polished the wood blank yet but will soon. As I said I will do some more intense studys after the first of the year.

TonyL

I did visit the turner (Mark Sillay) and saw their thin CA in action. No odor and can get away with minimal sanding assuming one likes a high satin finish.

BJ told me they only sell through distributors. Mark does many shows/demos and sell its for slightly above his cost. That is not what I wanted to know though. I was interested in their UV cured adhesives/finishes.

I showed him the Solarez...he had never seen it.

jttheclockman

Tony, when I get ready to do some testing too i will contact that company also. I would be interested in samples if that is the case about only selling to distributors. I can not dedicate enough time into it right now but will now that I am able to once again work in my shop.

As I mentioned I did a small sample testing of the Rhino glue. Will do a fexibility test and finish test also.

Like you, just looking into other avenues. Never know what we can stumble onto. We all have our favorites to fall back on so no harm trying. Maybe there are others out there doing the same with other products and if so I hope they do share their info. That is what we are about here.

Top Bottom