Organization help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Being new to pen making I have a question for all of you. How are you keeping/storing your bushings, drill bits, and pen kits so you know what goes with what? I plan on doing several kits and was hoping to see how you all keep things straight. Thank You

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

I use the plastic jars that you purchase nuts in at Costco. I peel the labels off the differnet kits and tape them to the jar and then keep the kits in the bags that they come in so I know whats inside each jar. I keep the bushings in the plastic bag (labeled with a Sharpie) that they came in and keep the bag in the jar that has the related kits so nothing gets mixed up. The proper drill bit(s) is also kept in it's tube in the jar. The jars are plastic so don't break if accidently dropped. It works for me.

seamus7227

I use a plastic bead box thats got the dividers in it and each space has bushings with a label on the top of the lid to identify what pen each go to. I haven't found anything but a shoe box for my pen kits. I dont buy many pen kits, since my 30-06 Tru-Shell pen is such a big hit here, I have brass laying everywhere!

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Here's one I haven't seen around the forums but I could have missed it. I use 35 mm plastic film cans (get 'em free from photo shops) to store the bushings and write the bushing info on the top with a fine line Sharpie. Where I have several sets of the same style, I mark them #1, #2, etc. so I know which ones are the oldest and have been used the most. When the CA builds up on the bushings I pour enough Equate brand (WalMart) nail polish remover in the film can to cover the bushings and cap it. I wait about 20 min. and the CA wipes off in one piece and the bushings are good to go. Then I pour the Equate back into the bottle; it'll last a long time if'n ya don't spill it. My drill bits I store in the 6" square clear pen display tubes from WoodTurningz that have a cap and, with a coarse Sharpie, I write the size on the tube and cover the writing with clear packing tape. Everyone finds their way but it's good to share the map.
WB

thewishman

I've got a unique system - I put them each in a bag that the kit was in - amazing!!!
They all fit in a drawer and I don't have to worry about dropping a box (which I would do) and having the top fly off and getting them all mixed up.

nava1uni

I punch a hole through each kit bag and put them(same kind) and then store them on shower curtain hooks. I store the bushings on a shower curtain hook with a label and then hang them on a rod over my workbench. This system is really Don Ward's but he shared it and it works really well.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I've got a unique system - I put them each in a bag that the kit was in - amazing!!!
They all fit in a drawer and I don't have to worry about dropping a box (which I would do) and having the top fly off and getting them all mixed up.

This is exactly what I do - only thing that works for me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
perscription bottles

I get a couple of perscriptions every month so I take the drugstore labels off the empties, put a label on the bottle with the kind of bushing and store them there. I put all of the bushings in a plastic container with the drill bits (I store them in labeled PSI clear plastic pen sleeves) and a few other small tools.

Top Bottom