Ordering supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I had an interesting experience today (Thursday) that I want to share. Monday of this week, I placed an online order with 3 difference supply houses:CSUSA, Arizona Sil and Penn State (PSI). Today, at my home in Tampa, FLORIDA, I received the order from CSUSA from UTAH and from Arizona Sil (Arizona). This is only the THIRD DAY after I placed the order and the orders came from a great distance !!!! I then went online to check my PSI order and it told me that they had not even processed my order yet!!!!

From other threads I have read, this is nothing new for PSI but very interesting, I think.

Carmen (in chilly Tampa)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

That's why I always order from venders here if possible. Don't have that problem.

P.S. "Chilly Tampa"??? I don't want to here it. The high here tomorrow is -2. :eek:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I sometimes wonder if Bill (Arizona Silhouette) is sitting there filling a box as we put items in the shopping cart. I have never waited more than 3 days for anything from him.

Kalai

I sent Bill (Arizona Silhouette) a box of Menehune from Hawaii and they fill all the orders while he sleeps at night :)
For those who might be wondering what Menehune is, it is pronounced mini hooney and they are a Hawaiian legend, they are small tiny people who will do things at night like say in this case fill orders and then you wake up and say wow I think the Menehune's have been here.
Yes Bill is quick on the delivery finger, I like that about him, aloha.

Chris

dustmaker

That is consistent with my experience as well. I will only order from PSI if they are the only supplier with the item I need, or I am not in a big hurry...good company, I like their stuff, just lousy service. Packard is also very good and I have heard good things about Woodnwimsies, but I have not (yet) ordered from them.

jleiwig

To be fair to PSI, they were not filling orders between Christmas and New years due to inventory and maintenance.

I imagine they are just now processing those orders and getting through their backlog.

dustmaker

To be fair to PSI, they were not filling orders between Christmas and New years due to inventory and maintenance.

I imagine they are just now processing those orders and getting through their backlog.

That may explain the OP's situation, but I have had several orders with PSI before the holidays and all experienced a minimum of 3 to 4 days lag from order to shipment...that's just not consistent with my experience with other suppliers. Others here have confirmed the same sort of lag time.

Rangertrek

Same experience for me with PSI. I only order from them what I cant find elsewhere. WNW is prompt with orders.

I had a return of several pens kits to PSI sent on Dec. 14th. I jusrt heard from them 2 days ago. After several phone calls, they still cant get the return info correct despite a detailed letter included with my return.

One of thier owners is a member here, maybe he will see these types of posts and try and do something about it.

jleiwig

I have never had one single problem with PSI. I ordered a bunch of stuff Christmas eve day, received an email that they would be closed between Christmas and new year for inventory, and my card would be charged the week between Christmas and new year in preparation for shipping. I received an advanced shipping notice that my products were shipping on the 29th, and I received them on the 4th. Short of Penturners Products, that's the quickest I received anything that I ordered on that Christmas eve.

I guess I'm going to have to start tracking my orders... When I order something from any supplier, I expect it a week later.. if it comes early I'm delighted, if it takes 8 days instead of 7, okay maybe the mail was slow or the other guy in town with my name got my package and had to send it back to the post office... at any rate, don't figure the world will end if it's a day or two late.... on any special order where I know I'm going to have to order a kit or some supply, I tell my customer I have to make the order and also tell them that I expect the order in 7-10 days... customers don't seem to have a problem with that.
I don't have any trouble with PSI's delivery schedules.

psilevy

Shipping

Hi All,
The Xmas rush plus the holiday shutdown did disrupt our normal shipping schedules. At this time (a heavier period) any order received will ship the next day, we hope to be up to the same day by next week. We have had issues with USPS and UPS in pickup and processing delays but that's out of our control. If you have a "favorite carrier" i.e. prefer USPS or UPS please ask. If you need your package "rushed" please ask and we will try to accommodate you.
Any other problems issues or ideas? - feel free to email me directly.
Thanks
Ed

JakeAB

I've had very good experiences with WoodTurningz.com. They are a PSI distributor, and even if they don't list a PSI item on their web site, just call them and likely they have it, or can get it quickly, and at a lower price.

I must say that I have had no bad experiences with PSI, though I'm rarely in a hurry to receive things and don't pay too much attention to shipping times. But I prefer to get PSI items through WoodTurningz if I can, if only because their shipping rates tend to be about half of what PSI charges, as are the prices of their bushings. And their customer service is top notch.

tim self

Now, I posted concerning delay in the shipment from PSI. However, after thinking about this a few days, I wonder if we're all just upset because we're comparing one supplier to another. Not to say customer service couldn't be better, but knowing AS's business size, I really doubt PSI is such a small operation. AS would fit in some folks living room and is well organized. Have not been to CSUSA so I cannot compare.

Bottom line, I think we're spoiled by the smaller operations service and expecting all the others to be just as quick. JMHO.

dustmaker

You know Tim, you may be right. There may also be staffing issues due to the economy. But regardless, if I need supplies to fill an order I will be more likely to work with the "little" guys that can get it to me faster. Gradually I am building up some reserves, but there will always be that blank or kit that somebody wants and you don't have!

Top Bottom