Opportunity for multi-pen commission - Advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

Just recently the VP of Marketing here at my company saw some of my pens and was very impressed. This morning she approached me about an opportunity to make some for the company. They are looking at doing a very tightly-focused target marketing campaign aimed at about 200 companies. They are expecting responses from about 25-50 of those. What they want to do is to send a pen to each of the respondents. The pens won't be offered until the client respsonds, they will not be incentive for responoses.

She and I are meeting Wednesday to talk about how this might work. One thing they do want is to have at least one type of option for the customer to choose. The campaign is promoting some of our customized web services, so they intend for the client to log in through this service to select their pen.

My initial idea is to offer a single type of material, probably wood, for all the pens. Then the client would be able to choose from two or maybe three kits. I was thinking along the lines of a cigar, sierra and maybe even a baron (I prefer to stay away from slimlines). My thinking is that there is probably a bigger preference difference with kits among men vs. women than there is material type. Granted, this is a BROAD generalization based on average hand-size difference between men and women.

The other option is to pick a single kit that is widely popular among men and women (sierra maybe?) and offer a choice between woods or maybe between wood and acrylic.

Any advice or observations from you guys that have been doing this a while would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on kits? Species of wood? I want to do this right and not screw up what could be ongoing opportunities.

Thanks in advance,
Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What will your recipients DO with the pen?

Strange question??? Not really. Are they desk-jockeys or field service personnel. Will the pens be dropped regularly or treated like "status symbols"? THEN, you can make some informed choices.

warreng8170

Considering we don't know these people personally, it's impossible to say for sure, but most of the people who will be receiving the original mailings are buyers and account reps, so I would assume mostly "desk jockeys" or "cubicle monkeys" :D

-warren

rlharding

I would want to make it as simple as possible for such a potentially large order. While choosing wood, I wouldn't let the client choose the one they want: just that wood will be the material used. I would have three kits for them to choose between, no problem with the ones you are thinking about. Then I would get some of each made up so that you are not scrambling when all the request come in.

There would be no need to have the client chose anything other than style - a more simple method would be to not let them have a choice at all but for them to be sent the pen as a surprise.

If the money is there you may wish to have Ken do your company logo/mission statement on wood pen boxes.

Don't go cheap.

my thoughts.

Rifleman1776

Do not give the recipient an option. Have one style you and the VP agree on. You might make a variety of materials and woods and give choices (first come first choice). Do charge enough for your work. You won't cheap down your work, thusly, there is no reason to cheat yourself. Include a business card with each pen. This will bring you a reputation and more orders. Congratulations. Everyone needs a break, you may have just gotten yours.

Rmartin

Congratulations!

I think the Sierra CLICK pen with chrome finish was made for this type of order. Easy to make, single barrel, and it has a decent click mechanism. Enjoyed by men and women. I would go unique with the type of blank. Three or four types of wood, and maybe an acrylic or two.

Good luck!

Rudy Vey

I have to agree with Frank: do not offer options on pens. Select one model of pen and offer your company the option of either wood or plastic. The Sierra and the new Sierra click pen are nice pens for the money. They are easy in the making since it has only one barrel, one can make two pens in the time it would take to make one. If you choose a stabilized wood, like the color dyed BEB from AZ, you can even omit a special finish. Just sand well and go through all the grits of MM and finish with a automotive polish, result is a very nice surface with a fine sheen that last long.

warreng8170

Thanks for the input so far. I am taking a case of samples to the meeting with me. The goal is to absolutely pair down the options to the bare minimum. I do like the idea of just offering a Sierra-type pen with the option of different materials. This brings up another question which I may also post as a separate thread just to get more opinions. Everyone seems to love the Sierra and from what I read, they seem to be very good sellers. Is there any reason why people prefer the Sierra to the Tapa Pacifica? The Black TI/Platinum Sierra is twice as much as the Black Ti/Chrome Tapa Pacifica. Is there a noticeable quality difference? I can see a small diff in price for the platinum vs. the chrome, but not twice the price.

-warren

airrat

Warren have you given them a price yet? I have had people ask me about something like this. Then I give them the price and they have a change of mind. Most of the time they do not know how much a custom pen will be.

Randy_

Whoever asked the question about the company budget was right on the mark. Maybe they want to send out Emperors(for the men) and Jr. Emperors(for the ladies) in engraved boxes and maybe they only want to send out slimlines in a velvet bag.

I know you indicated a aversion to the slimlines; but an awful lot of women prefer the smaller pens. Maybe you could put together a ladies package that included a slimline and a matching perfume pen??

Making pens is fun; but not so much so after you have made 50 identical units and stayed up late nights to meet the deadline.....be sure you get enough for your work that you will still be smiling when you are working on that 50th pen!!:D:D

broitblat

I think the selection you offer should depend on the goals of the campaign and the budget. The budget aspect has been addressed above (does the company have budget for Slimlines or Emperors?), but the campaign/purpose may also affect the choice. For example, if the company wants to use the pens to highlight the "custom" nature of their business, that might be better served by offering a wider selection, etc.

-Barry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you consider the slimline, remember the "comfort" pen is the same body with a different centerband. OR you can leave off the center band and make your own.

Witness Russ Fairfield, a lot can be done with a SIMPLE, economical set of components!!!!!:D:D

M

monkeynutz

I'd suggest no options. Pick a nice kit and a nice wood specie, and call it a special edition "Thank You" pen. Maybe use themed clips or something to add to the uniqueness. Make sure your company gives you a budget. If all pens are the same, you can set about doing all your drilling and cutting on one day, your turning on another day, and your finishing on yet another day. You won't have to bruise your brain thinking about which piece goes with which pen, or swapping one bushing set for another all the time. Just number both halves of your blanks (if they end up being a 2-piece) so that you can keep matched pairs together. It will make it much easier (recently did 50 alike that way).

workinforwood

I find it tough to comment without a budget. I had a similar thing happen at my work, fancy pen like a statesman in green with black laser lettering of company name and the name of whoever is getting the pen. With research on my cost and trying to cut them the best deal I could which was around a $100 each, and ya'll with experience know that would be a great price, but that was way too steep, so the deal was off. I'm not talking just burned in either, I'm talking the letters burned out and replaced like the american flag pen style! You can't work for free, even if it is just a hobby. I'll crack out 24k slims in corian for $10 all day long for the pathetic $7-8 return, but not for a $2 return. Wood is more work as it needs a finish.

DonNC

I'm new to the pen turning hobby, but I've been involved in retail and retail marketing for about 30 years.

All of the respondents have offered great advice. The key point in all of this is the marketing budget available to your client. Generally speaking, a larger company will have more flexibility in their spending then a smaller company. It sounds as if you are dealing with a company involved in a broad market.

During your meeting you will get an idea of the company's expectations, cost wise. Don't commit to anything until you have an opportunity to analyze what your net cost would be for the job. Companies will seldom make on the spot decisions when it comes to spending money, so they would not expect the same from you.

Above all, don't sell yourself cheap. You were approached because of your skills. Experience doesn't come cheap! If you cannot agree on an acceptable price, then "Thank you very much for your interest" would be your comment as you shake hands as the meeting ends.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The biggest obstacle in the way of getting any corporate order is always the competition - the promotional gift companies. These vendors will offer them them an imported European style Rosewood pen with custom laser engraving for about $5 each in lots of 200.

If that is the mind-set, your only hope is that your being an employee will mean something to them. If you have already passed that obstacle, find out what they really want, keep it simple, don't give your time away, give them a reasonable price, and get ready to make some pens.

mdburn_em

Originally posted by warreng8170

...She and I are meeting Wednesday to talk about how this might work. One thing they do want is to have at least one type of option for the customer to choose...

Why the discussion on not giving them an option? It was one of the stated conditions.

Top Bottom