Opinions on Wood Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CKormann

I would be interested in hearing what anyone has to say about this, the Wood Pen Pro.

It looks cool and I've read good things about it, but I have yet to read anything about how long the carbide tips last. I have no problem switching to this tool as long as I do not have to replace the tip every week. Smells a lot like "give 'em the razor, sell 'em the blade", except you still have to buy the razor.

Thanks,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

I have the Easy Wood Midi set and love them. I've only purchased one extra set of carbide cutters for each in a little over a year. When mine lose an edge all the way around I replace them with the other set then take the dull ones and dress them up with my diamond file set and they are good as new. I got mine from Woodcraft.

Last edited:

CKormann

Thanks Andy, that is reassuring. The reason I asked the question is because I exchanged some email with Wood Turner's Catalog a while back about the Pen Pro, and I was told that the cutters could not be sharpened and needed to be replaced when dull. I'm thinking I may buy one of the similar tools from one of the IAP vendors.

Chris

ctubbs

Chris, I bought the WoodChuck BowlPro from Ken Ferrell here on site. He is a member here and produces a wonderful tool. Look him up and if you feel the need give him a call. He will be glad to talk about all the tools he builds and help you with a recommendation. I use mine for all my turnings and almost never start sanding below 600 grit. I have had my tool for nearly a year now and am still on my original cutter.
Charles

dankc908

I bought the Woodchuck Pen Pro from Ken over a year ago. That is my constant "go to" tool. I also bought the diamond shaped cutter tool (you have to call Ken re: this as the tool isn't listed on his website). This is my "trouble tool" that has gotten me out of several difficult situations. I highly recommend Ken and his tools.

Dan

PS - Ken is known as "bitshird" on this forum.

SloLouie

I'm still a bit of a noob, I really like the PenPro, the more I use it the more I like it. I've turned wood, antler and acrylic, it does great on all of them. While I believe the inserts aren't resharpenable, they do have 4 cutting sides and replacements can be had for less than $8.00. I ordered a couple extra with my PenPro.

BruceA

I bought a Wood PenPro from Ken about 3 months ago, and it's the best money I've ever spent for penturning. Check Indy Pen Dance for a better price, although they are out of stock at the moment. http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Wood-Chuck-Pen-Pro.html

Indy is having a sale that ends TODAY, with 12% discount, and $1. shipping. You could purchase extra carbide tips from them todoay. Check their ad under the "Catalog" forum.

My PenPro has the 6" handle and it's great to work with. The fact that you don't have to sharpen your skew for each blank, like I was doing, saves major time. And it's amazing how long the carbide stays sharp. For @ $7. for each tip, that's about 100 blanks worth! I haven't touched my skew since I received the PenPro.

Check around for pricing and availability, though!!

Fatdawg

I have the Easy Wood Midi set and love them. I've only purchased one extra set of carbide cutters for each in a little over a year. When mine lose an edge all the way around I replace them with the other set then take the dull ones and dress them up with my diamond file set and they are good as new. I got mine from Woodcraft.

+1 The same goes for me. I own a complete set of the midi's. Once all four sides are dull I color the top with and Sharpie and redress them using a diamond set as well until all the Sharpie is gone. I found it best to use a figure eight pattern when redressing.

qballizhere

I'm still a bit of a noob, I really like the PenPro, the more I use it the more I like it. I've turned wood, antler and acrylic, it does great on all of them. While I believe the inserts aren't resharpenable, they do have 4 cutting sides and replacements can be had for less than $8.00. I ordered a couple extra with my PenPro.

The carbide inserts can be sharpened but they dont last as long as if they were new. I have the wood pen pro and the unitool both are great and would recommend them to anyone.

Texatdurango

I would be interested in hearing what anyone has to say about this, the Wood Pen Pro.

It looks cool and I've read good things about it, but I have yet to read anything about how long the carbide tips last. I have no problem switching to this tool as long as I do not have to replace the tip every week. Smells a lot like "give 'em the razor, sell 'em the blade", except you still have to buy the razor.

Thanks,
Chris
Please rest assured that you are way off with your concerns.

I made my own carbide insert tools a few years ago and ordered a few "ten packs" of cutter tips for the tools. I have a wide square bit on one tool and a slightly smaller tool which uses a radiused cutter and both are my "go to" tools when cutting pen blanks so they get use a lot and I don't think I've replaced either tip more than a couple times in over two years, probably closer to three years.

Remember that you can rotate the cutter tip around revealing a fresh edge so you basically have four cutters in each tip!

Instead of trashing the last cutter I changed out, I put a drop of oil on my diamond sharpening card and swirled the cutter around on it for a minute and it sharpened it to where it cut like a new bit once again. I would say that unless you actually chip a bit, they will last a LONG time!

Last edited:

ohiococonut

I bought the pen pro a few months back and it has taken my pen turning to a new level and made life much easier. Sanding is no longer a problem and finishing is much easier, not to mention the time saved in the process. I've used mine to turn segmented pens made from acrylic, brass, leather and wood all at once. It's rare that I pick up another turning tool anymore.

If you don't have one you don't know what you're missing and once you do get one, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Minotbob

I got a Woodchuck Pen Pro over a year ago and it's now just about the only tool I use on pens. I now start my sanding with 400 grit.

darthintel

I bought the WoodChuck Pen pro and had a lot of problems getting the flat carbide bit to cut. Tried the corner, tried rotating the tool....no fix. I then purchased a round carbide tip and it cuts amazingly.

The round carbide tip takes a square blank to round very quickly. Then with a light touch you can move back and forth across the blank with a steady chip flow.
I have found that keeping the too rest right under the allen head screw helps keep the tool cutting with little chance of chip outs and chatter.

Top Bottom