Opinions on ProX Art Deco pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

Exotic Blanks has this kit (.exoticblanks.com/ProX-Art-Deco-Twist-Ballpoint-Gun-Metal-Rose-Copper.html) listed as a budget line kit. I like the looks and the price is really attractive, but have never hear about Prox bushings and especially Prox replacement tubes, although they appear to be standard 3/8 tubes. Also I can't remember seeing any post of this model in the Show Off Your Pens forum. Does anyone have experience with them, good or bad. Thanks,
Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I would also consider this kit as a "budget line" kit. It is basically China's copy of PSI's Art Deco ballpoint kits. However, it is a good kit for the price. The biggest problem I have with it is the flimsy clip and the occasional dinged/scratched up finish. It uses the exact same 3/8 tube and bushings as PSI's Majestic Squire and Art Deco BP kits. Hope this helps.

farmer

China made penkit

I would also consider this kit as a "budget line" kit. It is basically China's copy of PSI's Art Deco ballpoint kits. However, it is a good kit for the price. The biggest problem I have with it is the flimsy clip and the occasional dinged/scratched up finish. It uses the exact same 3/8 tube and bushings as PSI's Majestic Squire and Art Deco BP kits. Hope this helps.

Personally I would prefer a pen that was made in America with American made pen parts .
I think most American would prefer the same .

Curly

Personally I would prefer a pen that was made in America with American made pen parts .

As would the vast majority but the simple fact is that there is only one American pen kit maker and he can't possibly supply the demand for all of the US in all the price points. He isn't able to keep up to demand for the few that he makes now. There is a British maker starting to make pens but again once again it would be a long time before he would be able to supply the range of kits that are supplied by Taiwan and China if people bought his over the cheaper Asian kits. Now it would be great if you have the connections to companies that would make good kits and get them producing them, I'm sure every single one put on the market would be snapped up.

farmer don't take the above as an attack but it has nothing to do with the OPs question and it really should be a discussion of its own in the Casual Conversation section. My apologies to Larry for the hijack and mini rant.

Fatfaud

I really like this kit. Downside for me is the short tube. But it can be an upside if you get to use some stuff just laying around.

Rolandranch

Along the same lines as Curly, though most Americans probably do prefer American-made pen parts (including myself), there are very few American companies that actually make them. An example of this is Lazerlinez pen kits (https://pengeapens.myshopify.com/collections/inlay-kits). There are very limited selections of American-made pen kits.

mecompco

Just assembled my first one yesterday. I like it, but I noticed after assembly that the clip isn't tight to the blank, so it's got to come back apart. Will pre-bend the clips on the next two I have. Oh, used one of the "Harry Potter" Christ Church College blanks and it looks nice.

Regards,
Michael

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
An observation

Just assembled my first one yesterday. I like it, but I noticed after assembly that the clip isn't tight to the blank, so it's got to come back apart. Will pre-bend the clips on the next two I have. Oh, used one of the "Harry Potter" Christ Church College blanks and it looks nice.

Regards,
Michael

One of the complaints, over the years, is that pen clips scratch the pen, when they rotate. The ProX that I am carrying does not touch the pen body, but it does stay tight in my shirt pocket. Might be an advantage!

Up to the penmaker, obviously!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

farmer

Pen kits

As would the vast majority but the simple fact is that there is only one American pen kit maker and he can't possibly supply the demand for all of the US in all the price points. He isn't able to keep up to demand for the few that he makes now. There is a British maker starting to make pens but again once again it would be a long time before he would be able to supply the range of kits that are supplied by Taiwan and China if people bought his over the cheaper Asian kits. Now it would be great if you have the connections to companies that would make good kits and get them producing them, I'm sure every single one put on the market would be snapped up.

farmer don't take the above as an attack but it has nothing to do with the OPs question and it really should be a discussion of its own in the Casual Conversation section. My apologies to Larry for the hijack and mini rant.

I didn't know there was only one American pen kit maker here in the USA.
And that they were not able to keep up with demand.

No I don't take this a attack , I just didn't know ..that getting American made pen kits was in that high of demand or that hard to get .

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

One of the complaints, over the years, is that pen clips scratch the pen, when they rotate. The ProX that I am carrying does not touch the pen body, but it does stay tight in my shirt pocket. Might be an advantage!

Up to the penmaker, obviously!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, to each his (or her) own. But I don't think a 1/8th" or so gap is to my liking. Other than that, I like the pen and I'm sure will be ordering more.

magpens

Thanks, Pete ... I would never have thought of googling "British made pen kits" !!!
Honestly ..... :eek:

Top Bottom