Opinions Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

20051013163211_polishandbrush1.jpg

In trying to finish up my pen, I inadvertantly used one of my 20 programs that still had some code for my earlier version of the base in it, ruining the part. I decided to continue to work with the parts to improve my finishing technique. I'll make new parts as a mached set to replace them.

In finishing the barrel, I got the brushed finish right off the lathe. My question is this; does it look as good as a polished finish? Does it have the same impact and perceived value? I know that Tighe only does brushed finish, and it is tons easier to do. It gives "the look of titanium." When polishing, the wood gets bits of compound in it, darkening the wood. I can possibly mask off the wood with tape or something if necessary. It's a lot of work, so I want to see what others think of the different finishes before committing myself to polishing a bunch of them. I can keep the front barrel polished, just to have a contrast.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

20051013164155_polishedandbrushed2.jpg

Here's a view from above. I put a disk in the picture to show the effect of reflections. The brushed doesn't quite reflect an image, while polished does.

Opinions please.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bruce,

If I read this right, the brushed will be less likely to show fingerprints (well, smudges). Isn't that a GOOD thing???

From he who knows little about the statosphere of pen-making (heck, I didn't even include it in my poll!)[:(][:(][:(][:(]

vick

I like the polished metal, but I think the lighter wood in the brushed picture looks better. If I had to choose one over the other I would go with the polished.

M

Mudder

Call me a fish, But I would gravitate to the shiny one.

I would also think:

shiny = more work + added value / which also equates to higher price

ashaw

Bruce

They are both sharp looking. I think brushed for every day use because it will not show wear as quickly. For a collector the polished metal is a keeper.

JimGo

I agree with Ron, both will sell well. You could always offer the polished look as an option, and then go back and mask off the wood and polish away (of course, for an extra fee).

btboone

Interesting responses! It sounds like it might make sense to offer the option of either. I suppose it might have more impact for potential magazine pictures if the first one is polished, or make one of each with the opposite finish shown with African Blackwood.

JimGo

Bruce,
For a color mag spot, I'd do something with more color than Blackwood. While I do think it will be a great choice for woods, I'd think Cocobolo would be a better choice because of the extra impact the color will make.

CaliforniaRed

I believe you are right. For a magazine the snaz of polished would be better. I am very anal about polished surfaces. I hate to see smudges and fingerprints. They are very unattractive to me. For everyday use, I would go with the satin finish.

Both are absolutely stunning.

angboy

I like the brushed look a lot better. I'm glad that so many companies are offering the finishes like the brushed satins. I think I first saw this type of finish when looking for a new kitchen faucet and a lot of those are now in the brushed finishes. The reason I decided I prefer is that frankly, I often find the shiny to look cheaper.

I tend to like shiny stuff in general in most other things, but I think part of my opinion comes from the fact that you can get cheap drugstore pens that are shiny silver or gold, but the brushed look makes me think of a more sophisticated presentation. I haven't seen many drugstore pens with the brushed type of finish. Similar to the kitchen or bathroom fixtures, I guess I'm used to seeing the cheaper standard fixtures that are put in that I quickly replace with upgraded, often brushed look.

I know that in your pen, the quality of the silver is the same whichever way you make the finish look, but that's just how I react when I see each finish. For me, my immediate instinctual reaction ot the brushed would be that it is high quality, and to the shiny, would be to question that and have to remind myself, that Bruce's would be a high quality metal either way it was finished.

btboone

It is interesting to note that you never see polished titanium. It's really tough to do. That might help make a statement. I agree that brushed is a clean look. I'll probably do both. Maybe give the customer the option at no charge simply because some brushed ones would save work over polished, but I don't want to give away the fact that it is "cheaper."

PenWorks

Looks good both ways hard to pick. Polish the tip and leave the exposed barrel with the wood brushed, I like the two tone look.

Randy_

Bruce: I think I could make a more accurate judgment by seeing these pens first hand. A photo just won't do here. Please send me one of each style and I will offer you a definitive opinion. And don't think I will fall for the old scam that samples would be free; but postage is $3300!! [:D][:D]

Seriously though, I think you will get a mixed opinion on this and may need to offer both alternatives. Personally, I like the higher contrast of the darker wood with the polished metal and don't see the need to mask the wood for polishing.

btboone

I'll experiment with the polishing options. I'm remaking the parts now. I decided that while I'm spending the time to machine the thing, I might as well run 5 of them. More than half the battle is arranging the tools and getting the setup right. The programs should be getting close. The wood I'm using this time is still olivewood, but has pretty bold contrasting lines in it. I'll need to be sure to rearrange the strips back where they originally came from on the wood tube, and it should really show off the design.

JimGo

Bruce,
You have probably already thought about it, but you can mark the blank with chalk in a "V" shape (pointing across the blank) or with a triangle, this way you can easily check the orientation and position of each piece.

btboone

Hi Jim, The chalk will wear off. I soak these things in olive oil so that they can flex a little. I laser engraved numbers just outside the parts, and I only take one spiral off the tube at a time. This should work OK.

I've been making parts all day, and my 4th axis decided to flake out again and ruin another part. As usual, it was midway through it's final spiral before deciding to ruin the part.

Rudy Vey

Bruce, I keep the brushed finish on all my Titanium pens, do not like the polished look too much. Fingerprints seem to stick out more on the high polished stuff and I think the slightly dull, matte finish of the brushed finish looks more elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom