Opinions, please...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
and facts if you have them. [8D]

Is the Jet JWL1236 lathe with stand for $429 a better deal than the Jet 1014VS at around $460? Is there a better deal out there on a different lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I don't know either lathe so can't speak factually. Rather I am interested in whether either stand contains storage. That is the biggest problem for me right now. I don't have the time to custom built a lathe stand but would really like to be able to store turning items at the lathe.

C_Ludwigsen

I have the Jet 1236 w/stand and have loved it since I got it. I do not have the Jet Mini, but having true variable speed would be nice.

I guess it is a question of capacity needs. If you turn pens, small bowls, boxes and such, then the Mini may be the better buy - because of the variable speed. If you were looking at the belt-changing version, I would go with the 1236.

I added several hundred pounds of ballast to mine and it doesn't move.

Chuck

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Lou I have the 1236 and love it... you have the capability of doing bowls up to about 11" and plenty of power... you don't change the belts to change speeds... it uses a lever to actuate a set of split pullies to change speed... have had no problems with mine since I got it and it is used just about every day.... for the price you have been quoted I would go for the 1236... if you want to try one out you are welcome to come on over... we are not that far apart...

Scottydont

I used to own the Jet 1014 non-VS model and loved it. The belt changes were the only issue. I have a Griz G5979 which is very similar to the Jet 1236 I have used at a friends. If I were faced with choosing one or the other the two things that would impact it would be. 1) Am I going to do any lathe work larger than the 1014 can handle? 2) Is shop space an issue for me? If both of these are no, the 1014VS would be the clear choice. If either of them are yes then I would be seriously be looking at the 1236. Lots of accesories are available for both. Even though I have a full size lathe now, I do plan on getting a second midi lathe, probably the 1014VS.

Good luck on your decision.

jwoodwright

I have two Jet Mini 1014's. One a 6yr old belt change, one a New 1014VS. You said $460..00 for the 1014VS. You can do much better than that. Check on-line...[:)] Oh, I added the extension for the 1014VS. Nice.[8D]

JET 708351VS/JML-1014VS Variable Speed Mini LatheList Price: $498.00
Amazon.com's Price: $349.99
You Save: $148.01 (30%)Amazon.com prices subject to change.

This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See details.Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Features:
All cast iron
Variable speed
Live center
Rubber feet
Quick release levers

Scott

Hi Lou!

I have both of these lathes, and have used them both. I started with the 1236, and have done a lot of work on it. It is a good solid beginner's lathe. Then later I got a 1014, non VS, so I could do some turning in my basement during the cold Winter months. Last Winter I traded this in on the 1014VS.

What the 1236 has going for it over the 1014 is the 12" swing instead of 10", and the 36" length instead of 14". With the bed extension on the 1014, that almost eliminates the bed length advantage. So you have to choose whether 2" more swing is of that much use to you?

I have described the 1236 as a "good solid beginner's lathe". And that it is. But it is clearly at the "low" end of full size lathes. On the other hand I would describe the 1014VS as being a "high end" mini lathe. It is about as well made as a mini lathe can be. Oh, there are higher end mini's, such as the Oneway 1224, but I would, off the cuff, describe the Jet 1014VS as being 3/4 of the lathe the Oneway is, while being 1/5 the price! I have a Oneway 1224 as well. (I know - I'm sick!)

Now understand, this is just my opinion, but I would encourage anyone to invest in a Jet 1014VS, and then if and when you're ready to move up to something bigger, go for the 16" Jet, or the 20" Powermatic, or the 20" General, etc., etc. Odds are that when you "move up" you will keep your Jet Mini, because it is such a nice machine, and it's so handy to have a second, smaller lathe in the shop!

Now, as for the stands, the stand on the 1236 is a serviceable sheet metal stand. You can beef it up with some sandbags, and it will work just fine. The stand for the 1014 made of heavy square tubular steel, and in my opinion is much more solid and sturdy. But it does not have any storage. I'm sure it can be modified, but I haven't gone there. If you want a lathe stand that has storage, get the Oneway 1236 (or Oneway 1018) - the stands that come with these lathes is massive, and has plenty of storage!

I hope this helps!

Scott.

Doghouse

Lou, not to confuse thigs, but you may want to consider 2 other things.

1. get the jet w/o any stand and build your own. It is not hard, and you are able to design storage underneath.
2. Harbor freight makes a jet 1236 knock off. The only difference is that the hole for the tool rest is 25mm insead of 1". (that can be corrected by any macine shop). The lathe is often on sale for 199 - 249.

I have to agree that while the 1014 is great for pens and bottle stoppers, it cannot handle turning bowls.

William Young

Doghouse. I noticed you said the 1014 is good for pens but cant handle turning bowls.
I am curious if you just meant it cant handle bowls over 10" diameter. I intend to try some upwards to it's 10 inch capacity when I get some suitable wood for that.
I am cranking out lots of 6" to 7" bowls with mine since I got my Oneway Talon Scroll chuck and it has loads of power with sharp tools. I have never had it bog down for lack of power yet.
Perhaps you could elaborate on why you think it is not suitable for bowls. Like maybe it wont stand up to the use or something else that I am not aware of .
Here are a few 6" to 7" bowls I turned on mine and just yesterday I did a 4" x 6" goblet that I havn't taken a picture of yet..
Inquiring minds need to know . [:)]
I am also curious as to what others are cranking out on these little mini lathes besides just pens, bottle stoppers, key chains , etc.
I have plans to make a bunch of candle holders as well for Christmas sale items.
W.Y.

69034456.jpg

68775324.jpg

62280540.jpg

62056287.jpg

Gary

Bill, I too am turning bowls on the 1014, and it works great using the Talon chuck. The ones I have turned so far are 6-8" in diameter.

Doghouse

I did not intend to have it infered that you could not turn bowls with the 1014, but when you compare the ability of a 1/2 hp spinning a 8 X 12 " bowl blank (not a segmented bowl, but a whole block of wood) it has a hard time compared to the 3/4 hp 1236 spinning the same blank. Remember he is comparing 2 lathes so if you compare the ability of each of them for the same money... The larger HP and larger swing over the bed wins. I don't purchase the stand because I can build a better one myself out of wood. Stacked 2X12 for the bed and legs with 4x4 shelf supports will more than hold that weight and provide enough extra to help prevent walking.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706

When you consider you can get the jet 1236 knockoff for $129 from HF, how can you say that the lower HP and smaller swing are that much better? Personaly, I saved my money and purchaed a 1442 to go along with the 1014. We use the 1014 for bottle stopper, tops, and pens. All bowl turning is done on the 1442.

Besides it is only my opinion.

William Young

Doghouse;
Thanks for clearing that up. I understand now what you were referring to. With the amount of space I have in my shop filled with other tools , I was lucky to squeeze my mini lathe into a little corner. I understand that if a person had the room and the money it would be best to have two sizes of lathes. That looks like a heck of a good deal on that 3/4 HP one you posted a link to.
My only concern was that you may have had some information regarding problems developing with the mini lathes by turning bowls up to their ten inch capacity. I guess time alone will tell how well it will handle it . I suppose the two main items that could cause trouble by using a mini lathe for turning bowls would be the smaller bearings and the 1/2HP motor. As the motor doesn't seem to be laboring at all or overheating , I would hope that it would stand up OK. The bearings at $15.00 for the set of inner and outer ones is very reasonable . I know that because I replaced mine myself already but it was for another reason and it was before I ever tried a bowl.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom