opinions of the No Tenon designer pen wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I know 2 active,and 2 retired police officers that I'd like to make them each a pen. I found the site that has the police badge clips.They are for designer pens,which I've never made before.

I am not good at doing tenons,so I was thinking about the NT kits that PSI has.I wanted to ask for opinions on if that's a good kit to get.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If I ever regret buying a pen kit is the new No Tenon design pen from PSI.
A customer ordered 5 of those when he saw one of the old pens with tenon. So I ordered 10 the new no tenon kits, 5 for him and 5 to make for my own. I wasted 5 cocobolo blanks. The pen feels very cheap when operating. The cap twists and sometimes just slips over the mechanism but the tip will not extend.
I had to order the regular with tenon kits form another supplier to fulfill my customer's order. I would never give him those crappy pens..

Cut the tennons, go slow, measure.

Steve,

If you don't already own a set of good calipers, you may want to buy a pair. I have several. My old favorites are simple dial calipers. However I do own a modern electronic pair. I also own a "fractional" dial caliper which is priceless for woodworking in general.

Measure the center band inside diameter. Write it down. Measure your tennon with the caliper as you reduce it down. Depending on the wood a tennon just a few thousanths larger than the ID of the center band. If you mess up, a little medium CA works well. Trick and hard part is not too much and distributing it around. Usually easier to place it on the band where one can wipe away if too much and try again. At the end take very light delicate cuts. Practice on scrap. You can also sand to the desired diameter. The Euro is one of my favorite pens. Classic good looks. Elegant simplicity.

Every success, Charlie

jcm71

If I ever regret buying a pen kit is the new No Tenon design pen from PSI.
A customer ordered 5 of those when he saw one of the old pens with tenon. So I ordered 10 the new no tenon kits, 5 for him and 5 to make for my own. I wasted 5 cocobolo blanks. The pen feels very cheap when operating. The cap twists and sometimes just slips over the mechanism but the tip will not extend.
I had to order the regular with tenon kits form another supplier to fulfill my customer's order. I would never give him those crappy pens..

+1 on these comments. I have had the same experience with both the tenoned and NT pens from PSI. They need to drop them from their line.

plantman

:):) Steve: look up "lazarlinez.com" on the internet. Constant has a lazer cut kit that includes the word Police on a badge, handcuffs, and a semi-auto pistol. Price is $20. It's easy to put together and would fit perfectly for the people you want to honor with a special pen. These kits fit the Gatsby or Sierra pens, are one piece, and therefore need no tenon. Jim S

Last edited:

zig613

Steve...

Go to either Beartooth or Exotics and buy the titanium gold Berea 7mm Euro (designer) kit. I stopped using the PSI designer kit when they switched to the new style.

Wade

ossaguy

Thanks everyone for the replies.you saved me from making a mistake.This group is so helpful!

I really appreciate you all,

Steve

Top Bottom