opinions needed for fund raising pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolland

I am wanting to turn some pens for a fund raiser for an 8 year old in town that needs a liver transplant. She has cysic fibrosis and the transplant is in the neighborhood of $200k+. The family has insurance but needs the co-pay of at least $60K.
So my question is; what pen would be the better to make, I plan on using Corian for much of it as I have a bunch in different colors I can use, and I kinda like turning it. Most likely will try for 30-40 to start. As far as skill level I have made a most of the models sold by Penturningz and PSI.
All opinions welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Rolland,,

Put on the old Razzle dazzle! Break out your best kits and wood ! even some Imported Acrylics with colorized magic!!

Make it the best pens you ever made!

reddwil

One thing I can can suggest is advertising, Let People know what the money is going for. Corian is not a big seller for me so I wouldn't know what to tell you on the best kit to use with that material. I would have to agree with Bill and suggest the best of the best.

firewhatfire

Do a raffle, make as many pens as your willing to donate and set the raffle up so that based on number of tickets sold a percentage wins a pen in the drawing 1st ticket 20th ticket, 50th and so on. Make the last drawing for a really nice set of pens, the best you can make. As you sell tickets for the raffle, also sell pens directly to raise money.

Just another option.

Phil

firewhatfire

you can set up a free website on weebly.com as an address to check the current status of the raffle. Make an incentive to buy early as you can schedule drawings for certain dates. any ticket bought before that date is in that drawing and every after that. The winning ticket also goes back in the drawing for the next drawing and the grand prize drawing.

Phil

broitblat

Rolland,

I think the specific pen(s) to make would somewhat depend on the audience and the nature of the fundraiser. For example, if you're selling pens at a black-tie Gala dinner with other high-end products for sale, you'd probably have different results than selling them at a bake sale or stand-alone web page.

The raffle idea may lend itself to a progressive set of pens (e.g. more ornate/expensive as you go along). If you need more items, I expect you could find folks around here willing to contribute (I'm willing :rolleyes:)

Good luck.

-Barry

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Rolland, I would be willing to donate 5 Organ Donor Awareness pens to help the cause. I am a recipient of an organ donation and will help in any way.

For those who don't know, Constant sells the blanks. The are the green ones. It is the ribbon for "Donate Life"

Last edited:
Top Bottom