Opinions on KIts from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akingkubo

I think PSI has the most variety and original of Pen kits and I tend to buy their new ones and see how they look. Of course as everybody knows we still gravitate more on their bolt action pen kits. My friends & customers love the Patrizio, Classic Elite II, and Sculpted pens. I will stay away from the Montague.

magpens

I thought I liked their Vertex Supreme until I bought some and found out that they rattle. Also, the magnet is not strong enough ... :(

I like their 30 Caliber Bolt Action pens.

What are your opinions, Liz ?

Last edited:
Almost all of the pens I make, use and sell are click style. PSI sells quite a few click kits but, IMHO, there is none better than the Vertex. 3/8" tube, excellent masculine styling that pairs well with either wood or many acrylic blanks and the first super smooth click mechanism I used. Very reliable and I love the weight, balance and feel. My best seller.

I also like the Big Ben click, the Stratus, Spartan and Apex kits.

I am not a fan of the Gatsby click (have had too many with issues). I like the Polaris but it doesn't sell.

PSI has recently been marketing pens that have a heavy, cast appearance (the Celtic, Gothia, Steampunk, Phoenix, Nautical, Skeleton, etc, etc.) and I don't like them.

WriteON

I'm a dedicated PSI customer. I like their kits and customer service. Bolts are my favorite. The heavy cast stuff are excellent choices. There is nothing wrong with them....just a matter of opinion. Depends if you are trying to sell them or give as gifts.

Joey-Nieves

I buy pens from PSI, CraftUSA, Exotic Blanks, Woodturningz and Wood and Whimsies. To start combined they have all I that I need.
Exotic blanks has the most awesome artist blank at a very reasonable price and they also carry the Berea Hardwoods line at a great price. Ed and Dawn have a line of high end pens that is great. He also has the best variety and pricing on CA glue
CraftUSA has good pricing and some exclusive kits that are very good sellers, there Americana Snap cap is just regal and is my top seller but it in 10k gold it tends to scratch the nib, I work my way around that by making a CA sleeve(that's another post). Customer Service is there strongest, and they have the best Plastic boxes, specially if you are like me and your slim lines aren't that slim. They also offer classes by great turners who are very nice.
Wood and whimsies is your go to for parts, economical pen kits casting supplies, refills and acrylic blanks place to go. Tim is the most unselfish person you will ever meet, he takes the time to call you back and answer your question. He taught me over the phone ho to make worthless wood blanks and it took him about an hour and a few days later he emailed me to find out how they came out.
As for you question, PSI has the most vast selection of pens in one place, I bought 400 slim line for my Christmas sales and I most say that the fancy clips have broken off of 30 or more, something that never happened to me with the ones from CraftUSA, but they sent me new clips but I'm still getting calls from clients, now that's embarrassing.
I really like there majestic line, there expensive but well built.
Almost all of there kits you can buy them from the other sellers at discount prices, I only buy from them when I need quantity, or need a specific kit or when I have a 20% coupon. There are other sources also like Arizona silhouette, and our vendors in the market place.
I hope this helps, as for me I try to buy from the people in the marketplace. I have found some good deals there and best of great people. remember the best people are wood turners, although some can be a little grouchy but there good deep done (some deeper than others LOL)
Joey

zig613

Over the past couple of years I have purchased several hundred of their gold titanium slimline and euro designer 7mm kits. They all have been very good quality.

Wade

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Like any large vendor there are good and not so good kits from PSI. They have a lot of resellers and right now they seem to be trying to over power the competition with the shear volume of new introductions which gives them by far the biggest variety. With regard to quality they are a mixed bag in some cases there are similar kits for less money and better quality...in other cases their quality is great. Their Fancy (funline) slims seem to me to suffer comparison to similar kits from other sources but the bolt actions seem to me to be very good. Their 7mm Concava and 7/8mm the Graduate and the Patrizio are all great (and under appreciated in my opinion)kits as is the vertex click...

One problem I see is that they have been late in entering the high durability kits and have held on too long to the old 24K gold standard.

They definately seem to me to be moving their pricing up, moving away from most under $10.00 kits. They are also making it more difficult for resellers to retail price their kits at a discount or even at the same price as PSI is selling themselves. I personally think they have made some major changes to their business plan.

Last edited:

Neededwill

I am a PSI die hard customer. Been very happy with their selection and customer service. Slimline pro, bolt action and the executive are the favorites of people who want my pens.

its_virgil

The slimline pro is an excellent candidate to make as a one piece barrel. But, there are other single barrel clicker that I think are much better pens. Just my opinion and not wanting to start an argument. If you have good luck with them then stay with the kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am a PSI die hard customer. Been very happy with their selection and customer service. Slimline pro, bolt action and the executive are the favorites of people who want my pens.

Neededwill

Always looking for a good click pen, suggestions?

The slimline pro is an excellent candidate to make as a one piece barrel. But, there are other single barrel clicker that I think are much better pens. Just my opinion and not wanting to start an argument. If you have good luck with them then stay with the kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

chase1957

PSI Kits are great but the only thing I have noticed in the past 3 years is the Prices. They are getting out of hand. Its hard to make these kits and try to make it worth your while. Nice quality but seems to go up in price every other month.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
PSI Kits are great but the only thing I have noticed in the past 3 years is the Prices. They are getting out of hand. Its hard to make these kits and try to make it worth your while. Nice quality but seems to go up in price every other month.
That is probably not entirely their doing. We often find that when we reorder the price and/or the cost of shipping have increased so we have to raise prices. I suspect that PSI has the same problem.

WriteON

The shipping is the killer. Wait for the discounts if you can or order accordingly and keep some inventory in stock.

magpens

Berea Hardwoods New Kit Introductory Special

Please see my other post in the Penturning forum.

I highly recommend this kit and I want all my friends on IAP to know about this new kit being offered for $11.50 for a limited time.

Berea kits are the best !!! This recommendation comes after 5 years of making pens from almost all suppliers ... my experience after 700 pen kits !

This Sierra Elegant Beauty in Black Titanium and Titanium Gold (new smokey gold tint) looks like the best of the best to me if you like the Sierra Elegant Beauty twist pen with the flat top and floral sculpted center band.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Please see my other post in the Penturning forum.

I highly recommend this kit and I want all my friends on IAP to know about this new kit being offered for $11.50 for a limited time.

Berea kits are the best !!! This recommendation comes after 5 years of making pens from almost all suppliers ... my experience after 700 pen kits !

This Sierra Elegant Beauty in Black Titanium and Titanium Gold (new smokey gold tint) looks like the best of the best to me if you like the Sierra Elegant Beauty twist pen with the flat top and floral sculpted center band.
I have nothing against Berea Hardwood or their kits....but why are you adding a plug for Berea in a thread that asked specifically about PSI kits??? I personally think a mini review in the appropriate forum would be a better (and more widely read) spot of these comments.

Last edited:

WriteON

That is probably not entirely their doing. We often find that when we reorder the price and/or the cost of shipping have increased so we have to raise prices. I suspect that PSI has the same problem.

Can I suggest that members take look at your website. PSI items are priced well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom