Opinion on high quality kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcusicp

I am new to turning pens and have had quite a few people ask me to make them one. I really don't want to sell them the 24k slim lines and cigar pens that I have been picking up at the local woodworking shop. So I am looking for something better. As I read through the forums I am seeing alot of common problems with some of the kits.

My question is this; what kits would you recommend that will have the fewest problems? I would like to purchase the kits from CSUSA because of the great things I have heard about them. So if its something that they carry its a plus. Thanks for any help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
European designer kits with decent platings are nice, as are cigars if you want a bigger pen. It really depends on the person's preference. I usually go through Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods or Bill at Arizona Silhouette unless I'm ordering Gents, Retros or Statesmans. Both Ernie and Bill have top notch customer service, and their Berea pen kits are all great quality, especially if you buy the rhodium or titanium plated kits. The chrome stuff has held up well for me too. They also carry good quality Slimlines, but I like working with the bigger stuff, although I still enjoy turning a slim set now and then. Hope this helps!:D

rlharding

Don't pass over the slims and cigars so quickly. While some members don't/won't turn the slims I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I do a good business with my slims and see it as the introductory pen that gets many customers coming back to see what else I have.

I seen wonderful cigars on the site. Don't forget to find out what your market can bare, the high end kits also go for a much higher price - I've even seen slims in the $35 range.

Have you looked through a selection of albums?

marcusicp

I am not saying that I won't turn a slimline or cigar pen. I just want to find some higher quality kits. I'm not very pleased with the durability of the 24k finish as well as the feel of the transmissions in about half of the kits. I see that Berea was mentioned. Would they be considered the upper end of the pen kits? Thanks for the quick replies!

rlharding

You can get the high end kits from many places, the vendors are listed on this site on the home page, right side. It's the origin of the kits that matters and you would have to wait for one of the more longterm pen turners to add comment.

igran7

I agree with Ruth. Don't pass over the slimlines and cigars just because of the durability of the 24K plating. Both these kits come in a variety of platings that are very long lasting. (Rhodium, Black titanium & Gold Titanium) If you are leaning toward capped pens then CSUSA is definately your best bet. The Rhodium & Gold Titanium platings on the Gentlemen's and Statesman pens are fantastic, but be prepared to spend a lot more for these kits than the Slimlines & cigars. It all depends on your prospective buyers. If they are willing to pay the additional cost for the "higher end" kits then it may be worth your while to venture in this direction.

Joe in Oregon

Wildman

There isn’t an easy answer to your question.

If your looking for a simple to make and elegant (high quality) pen kit, try the Sierra ball point pen kits, from Berea Hardwoods or one of their re sellers already mentioned. (AS or BT). You’ll find kit prices from as little as $5.70 to over $25.00 per kit in their catalog. Prices at their web site http://www.penkits.com
and re seller’s prices a little higher.

Also CSUSA’s Patriot pen kits, are simple and elegant too. Http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com Berea sells the same kit as Carbara.

While many folks will agree both kits mentioned easy to make. May strongly disagree with the elegant part.

You didn’t mention name of the store (Woodcraft, or Rockler) your buying kits from, may already be making Berea Hardwood kits. You may or may not save a few bucks buying directly from Berea or CSUSA, by buying 10 of the same kits at a time.

In addition to web sits recommend you get a catalog from both Berea Hardwoods & CSUSA, sure will make life easier for you.

barrels

I have read very good suggestions ..but I guess I will thrown in the idea of offering a two piece kit. Maybe a naigator/barron, retro, jr gent. And yes I like turning slims as well

good luck

gerryr

While Berea has some excellent kits: Churchill, Baron, El Grande and some others, they also have some kits that are very poorly designed. Don't buy any capped pen kits that have metal to metal threads. These pens will unthread themselves in someone's pocket or purse which is not cool at all. The Berea round top European ballpoint makes a very nice pen, but it requires a lot of fiddling to make it turn out right or replacing the transmission with a PSI transmission. The Berea Olympia and Perfect Fit are both very nice kits for ballpoints and are available in good plating options.

CSUSA offers the largest selection of high end kits, but be prepared to spend some money to buy them. In addition to staying away from 24K plating, also stay away from the 10K plating that CSUSA has since it is only marginally better than the 24K plating.

The only satin plating I've found that lasts is satin nickel, although my wife has been using a satin silver Olympia for well over a year and the plating looks fine. The satin gold plating not only looks tacky, it also doesn't last. The "black chrome" plating offered by Berea, I think, seems to hold up but I believe it's actually black powdercoating. I've dealt with platers in my day job and have never seen true black chrome that looks like gloss black paint.

redfishsc

EVERY COMPANY has it's problems. Just know that. Also know that you will learn the lousy pens the hard way as much as you will by reading here. This is my take on the "don't bother" category.

BEREA:
American Flat top twists--- trannys break, troublesome to make.
Churchill AND El Grande--- nice pens but the nib couplers are VERY prone to breaking.

Euro and American style fountain pens--- the metal threads are legendary for being hated.

Absolutely ANY pen plated with 24K Gold. Ignore the "upgrade" monicker. It is still cheap 24K.

PSI
Every pencil they sell that I have tried has flopped for me, which is most of their pencils.

PSI does sell some good woodturning tools, chucks, and chisels at a good price however.

CSA--

Anything 10K and any button-click pencil. I have had much trouble with button click pencils.

Their high-end pens are nice but horridly overpriced. I do like their Jr Retro, however. If only they offered it in a DURABLE plating other than only Rhodium.

Their Americana pen is a LOT more reliable than Berea's version, and is easier to make.

I have had a LOT of trouble with CSA's Rhodium and Ti Gold plating pitting.

That being said, my staples are almost all Berea. I only sell Ti gold, Black Ti, Chrome, Rhodium, and occasionally black epoxy and satin nickel.

I like, and have had very, very good results with:

Cigar
Slimline (especially the roundtop and flattop streamlines)
Euro
Baron
Sedona (my favorite)
Olympia (very schnazzy)
I just tried the Perfect Fit twist pen and El Grande twist pen, both look like winners.

Jarheaded

I turn a lot of slimlines and sell a ton of them for $20 each. I use the Bereas titanium gold mostly, but the 24kt is a nice pen if you aren't going to touch it or use it. They make great disply pieces. The transmission from Berea is also very smooth and I have never gotten a bad one. I have heard that the ones from CSUSA and Penn State are also good quality, but I have never used them. Just make sure that you don't buy from a company that has a bad reputation like Steebar for example.
Good luck.

makaiolani

I've tried most of the pen kits around and it is true that every manufacture has their issues. But some companies have a lot more issues than others. Stick with Dayacom stuff. That's why I only use and sell their stuff. I've had too many customers come back with Berea and PSI. So finally after trying all these different pen kits I'm happy with CSUSA and Dayacom. Rockler is also carrying Dayacom soon according to Angus.

igran7

If you are leaning toward a two piece kit or capped pens definately go with the Jr. Gentlemen over the Baron. The price is a few dollars more, but the fit and finish of the pen is superior. Not to mention the Schmidt refill is a better refill than the Hauser. If I have a customer who specifically requests a Baron rollerball, I'll replace the refill with a Schmidt. I've had numerous customers complain about the quality of the Hauser refill.

marcusicp

Oh wow! It seems as if people are all over the place on this. I was hoping I would save the time and money that would be wasted on lesser kits by tapping into the knowledge that is on this site. However, everyone seems to have a different opinion. The only thing that seems consistent is to stay away from 24k gold. I guess I will just have to go through it myself and find out what works for me. Thanks for all the replies!

Top Bottom