An opinion on Ballpoint refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I recently sold a pen off of Etsy. The purchaser, a 68 year old gentlemen, who is "into" pens, wrote me an email after receiving the pen. He was very happy with the pen itself, but had some comments about the Private Reserver refill that I used. He wasn't unhappy, I think he was trying to help me out and educate me some in refills. I am going to list some of his comments below. I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

I have been using ballpoints forever - from the first Papermates and Jotters until today (I am 68 years old), so I believe I know whereof I speak. There are a number of good refills available. Those with Private Reserve ink (both their own brand, and those made for Monteverde) are among them, but not my first choice. I should point out that Monteverde (Yafa) has stopped using their own refills and now uses the Schmidt Easy Flow 9000, also German-made, but it only comes in blue or black and in medium width. Visconti refills (again, from Germany) come in .7, 1.0 and 1.4 mm widths and a number of colors - the 1.0 is, I think, the smoothest writer out there. Itoya, from Japan, makes a .7 refill - like Visconti in lots of fun colors - which I also like very much. Very subjective, I realize, just like chocolate and vanilla and strawberry (and mint chip and pistachio, my favorites) are all good flavors.

As with fountain pen nibs, differing ballpoint points should be used for different applications. When I'm just signing something, for instance, I prefer the broader (1.0) Visconti; if I'm writing checks, I prefer the finer (.7 Itoya) line. Fountain pen people are very affected and precise about the need for different nibs to suit the task at hand; ballpoint users need to be educated that one size does NOT fit all

I found his email to be informative and helpful. Just wanted to share and get others opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I'm not sure I see his point...? Was he just giving you information or saying that you should include a different size/brand with your pens? Or give the buyer a choice?
Also, I thought the the private reserve ballpoint refills WERE Schmidt easy flow 9000's, just rebranded...?

OKLAHOMAN

I recently sold a pen off of Etsy. The purchaser, a 68 year old gentlemen, who is "into" pens, wrote me an email after receiving the pen. He was very happy with the pen itself, but had some comments about the Private Reserver refill that I used. He wasn't unhappy, I think he was trying to help me out and educate me some in refills. I am going to list some of his comments below. I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

I have been using ballpoints forever - from the first Papermates and Jotters until today (I am 68 years old), so I believe I know whereof I speak. There are a number of good refills available. Those with Private Reserve ink (both their own brand, and those made for Monteverde) are among them, but not my first choice. I should point out that Monteverde (Yafa) has stopped using their own refills and now uses the Schmidt Easy Flow 9000, also German-made, but it only comes in blue or black and in medium width. Visconti refills (again, from Germany) come in .7, 1.0 and 1.4 mm widths and a number of colors - the 1.0 is, I think, the smoothest writer out there. Itoya, from Japan, makes a .7 refill - like Visconti in lots of fun colors - which I also like very much. Very subjective, I realize, just like chocolate and vanilla and strawberry (and mint chip and pistachio, my favorites) are all good flavors.

As with fountain pen nibs, differing ballpoint points should be used for different applications. When I'm just signing something, for instance, I prefer the broader (1.0) Visconti; if I'm writing checks, I prefer the finer (.7 Itoya) line. Fountain pen people are very affected and precise about the need for different nibs to suit the task at hand; ballpoint users need to be educated that one size does NOT fit all

I found his email to be informative and helpful. Just wanted to share and get others opinions.
I agree with Jeremy, he mentions the Schmidt EZ flow 9000 and the Private reserve is a Schmidt EZ flow 9000 that has bee private labled for Private Reserve.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm not sure I see his point...? Was he just giving you information or saying that you should include a different size/brand with your pens? Or give the buyer a choice?
Also, I thought the the private reserve ballpoint refills WERE Schmidt easy flow 9000's, just rebranded...?

This would be correct.

G1Pens

I think he was just trying to provide me with information.....but....I trust the information I get here....which is why I made my post.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gary,
If I don't know something, I will tell you I don't know.

If I have "heard" something from someone, I will, usually tell you "this is what I have been told".

With reference to the Schmidt and Private Reserve 9000 refills, I have held both in my hands, simultaneously---they ARE the same.

(No, I did not think you doubted what I said, this is just posted to assure others of my "modus operandus".)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I don't know, I will say, "I don't know"!!

Because I think (which can be dangerous and WRONG) that most "pen-makers" will not spend more than a buck or two to upgrade their refill, I have not examined other avenues.

My suggestion would be to go to Staples and buy a couple of each--formulate your own opinion. That's what led me to the 9000--but I limited my search to "Under $4 retail"

glycerine

I think he was just trying to provide me with information.....but....I trust the information I get here....which is why I made my post.

I didn't realize that some people prefer a different size tip based on what they are using the pen for. Aside from an artist doing "pen and ink" drawings, I always thought that each person had a preference on "nib" size in general. It's interesting to hear that one person may use only one pen for writing a check, another for writing a letter to a friend, (and of course a sharpie for signing autographs!!:biggrin:)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What percentage of the demographics of ballpoint or even roller ball users does he represent? Although his personal usage requires different refill tip sizes most people I know pick one and use it.

G1Pens

What percentage of the demographics of ballpoint or even roller ball users does he represent? Although his personal usage requires different refill tip sizes most people I know pick one and use it.

I pretty much thought the same way. Every user has a preference for size...fine or medium. Never really gave any thought to using different pens for different tasks. That is one reason I wanted to share.

I would imagine he represent a very small percentage of ball point users, but I just found his comments interesting and somewhat enlightening. Thought others might do so as well.

RogerH

My adult son and I did a large county fair this summer, and we had 3 pen collectors spend a lot of time with us at our booth. I am happy to say that each bought at least one pen (for daily writers) and they were very complimentary, but frankly each of them knew far more about pens, refills etc. than either of us. The only thing they didn't know was what we did-how to MAKE a pen. All three had pens dating from the 30's or 40's, up to current models. I just listened and learned. I didn't agree with everything they said, because I have been using pens for most of my 55 years and have my own opinions, but just like reading the posts on IAP, it is a pleasure to learn about something I greatly enjoy making. I try to take folks like that in stride, as long as they aren't overly critical.

sbell111

He does know that he can remove the refill and replace it with whatever will make him happy, right? He could probably even get a case made to hold six or seven different refills and change them out on the fly based on whatever letter he wishes to draw next.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I suspect since there has not been more threads or posts mentioning such things as a refill size preference among people buying pens. That this gentleman is one of those people that takes this farther than most. Not to criticize him for it, just as an observation. I have ran across such people in all sorts of different venues. He is clearly passionate about his pens, all aspects of it.

OOPS

I think his observations are interesting too. I doubt I will ever buy a $5 refill to test it for myself, but its nice to know that a 1.4 mm is available just in case I find a need for one. Thanks for posting.

penmaker56

Everything with pens is just a matter of personal preference by the user, ball points or fountains. The Private Reserve 9000 is a private labeled Schmidt easyFLOW 9000. Visconti has 2 types of Parker style refills, a ball point ink refill with widths up to 1.4mm and a gel refill with widths up to 1.2mm which were private labeled for them by Starminen of Switzerland, not Germany, but, I believe, they have switched to a Japanese manufacturer. Itoya, from Japan, makes both ball point ink and gel refills. Monteverde gets his refills from Germany, Switzerland, Japan, and China with his private label, so you never know what you are getting. The wider the width of the ball tip, the smoother it writes, but the more ink it lays out, so it does not last as long as the finer tips. Ball point inks are usually hydrocarbon based and have a long life span, gels are proprietory to their manufacturers, and need a backing gel behind the ink to prevent drying out, which takes away from the amount of ink in the tube. The easyFLOW 9000 is a low viscosity ball point ink (as opposed to the standard "pasty" viscosity) which has the longevity of ball inks, and almost the flow of gel inks.
With all that said, it is still a matter of personal preference by the end user.

IPD_Mr

This just a information add on. The EasyFlow 9000 is a medium point. The Super Bowl 8900 is basically the same thing but with a fine point.

penmaker56

Mike, I do not mean to sound like a know-it-all, but the SuperBowl 8900 is a fine point, but not a low viscosity ball ink, but a liquid/gel refill, with a 1 year cap-off shelf life. It has been removed from Schmidt's latest catalog, and is currently manufactured to order. I have been told by Schmidt that it will be discontinued in the future.

Top Bottom