Open for suggestion on displaying Bog Oak - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Open for suggestion on displaying Bog Oak

I received the Bog Oak blanks from TWVAMAN (Ireland)
I'd hate to waste any of this ancient wood with expeirmentation. So I'm hoping someone here can share their experience with this wood. I'd appreciate anyone's suggestions, recommendations or ideas for kits and finish suited to best display these blanks.
They are beautiful, Dark, Dense, Heavy, Open grain 3/4"x6"

-Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
img_0108.jpg  
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have the pen here to photograph, but my favorite thus far is PSI's Celtic twist in antique pewter. I've used only oil and/or wax for a finish on this wood--just so the hand can come into contact with 65 centuries of wood. I've also done a Jr. George in antique silver that i liked a lot. Burnished and waxed only--was purchased on the day i finished it. I think the Jr. George in antique brass will be nearly as good.
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Hi Anthony. To be honest, my carry pen the last three weeks has been a Stainless Steel Lazerlinz kit (single barrel) - probably 3+ yrs old. With an Irish Bog Oak blank.

I apparently used a satin finish, quite possibly in my "CA Era". It is still in good shape. Very open grain. The oak blank is satin/shiny, no scratches, and in my opinion very acceptable.

So, for recommendations... I prefer Chrome - goes well with most else. If you can snare any of the Stainless Steel kits, by all means do; they are worth the upgrade. I will encourage you to NOT fill the open grains, but to embrace them!

One of the nicest pens with bog oak I have witnessed is this: An IAP Collection Pen. It is course to the feel, open grains, and simply wonderful to handle.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.

Last edited by mark james; 02-19-2019 at 07:30 PM.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 76

I have done several pens in that bog oak from Twvaman and they have been warmly received by my Irish inlaws ! . I was surprised, when turning them, that although the wood is black, it is not nearly as messy to use as, say, African blackwood. . That means you can probably do some segmenting more easily, although I have not done that yet.

Because the blanks are 6" long, you can get two single-barrel pens from each one.

I like the Sierra click, in particular ... the black titanium plating or platinum is my pref.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I am with Mark, as far as type of components to use with bog oak. I sell several of the Lazerlinez brand of pens every year made from bog oak. The black and the stainless steel just go together. If you use CA to glue your tubes, make sure you give the glue extra time to set. For some chemical reason it takes CA longer to set on bog oak than it does on other woods. Also, probably for the same reason, I have had horrible luck using CA as a finish on BO. I’ve used Pens Plus and most recently Odies Oil with good success.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and suggestions. I'm going to check out some of the kits mentioned and place an order.
-Anthony
Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default Bog Oak

I made 2: one with CA (high gloss finish) and the other with friction polish (Pen Plus)). The CA finish made it look like black acrylic (no grain showing). The fiction polish preserved the look of the grain and left a natural finish. One was a liberty, coincidently, and the other was a professor/exemplar. Here's the Liberty. I didn't photograph the professor.
Attached Thumbnails
ubw_spwliberty-front.jpg   ukbw_spwliberty-back.jpg  

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
I made 2: one with CA (high gloss finish) and the other with friction polish (Pen Plus)). The CA finish made it look like black acrylic (no grain showing). The fiction polish preserved the look of the grain and left a natural finish. One was a liberty, coincidently, and the other was a professor/exemplar. Here's the Liberty. I didn't photograph the professor.
My experience exactly, Tony. Just not pleased at all with the end results using CA.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Nice looking pen!

I like the idea of leaving the natural grain as is and using a friction polish though.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

My favorite component set for Irish Bog Oak (IBO) is the Celticus and Jr. Celticus from Jimmy Findlay at WoodPenPro.com. I use Pens Plus to finish as I want the look and feel of the bog oak to be front and center as opposed to the plastic look and feel of CA.

A couple of Jr. Celticus pens:
Attached Thumbnails
img_1798.jpg  

John
USN (Ret)
Carolina Piedmont Chapter

Last edited by walshjp17; 02-20-2019 at 09:13 AM.
walshjp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads