Open Question for Nils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nils,

Does CSUSA offer extra tubes for the Emperor kit? I messed up one blank, and then am not sure the next time I tried that the blank is worthy of the kit. (I think I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure!) I didn't see extra tubes listed alon with the kit.

TIA,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Hey, I aint nils (actually better looking than him)[:D]. But I am sure they do have them. Give him a call, he will prolly get some shipped out to ya. Also I think they are the same tubes as the statesman. Or really close to it.

wayneis

Actuall the tubes are a little shorter for the Emperor compared to the Statesman/Gentleman. Just comparing the pens sitting on my desk I would guess about 1/16" to 3/32" shorter. It may work just fine but with the cost of these babies I would get correct tubes. JMO

Wayne

Ryan

I tryed to order some last week and they do not have them in stock yet. They are expecting them Nov 30th.

Ryan

wayneis

William I played around a little and I believe that the tubes from the statesman like Johnny said would work. The spring that comes with the Emperor kit I think is long enough that you would not have any problems. In fact on one of my Emperor's the fit was so tight that when I put the refill in and screwed the nib on it pushed the parts apart a little. Also we are not talking about a huge difference, at the most a 1.16" shorter.

Wayne

wdcav1952

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />....Also we are not talking about a huge difference, at the most a 1.16" shorter....

This mist be a typo??

Given that the / and . keys are next to each other on the keyboard, I think we can safely assume that Wayne made a small type. BTW, I like the way you purposely misspelled must to illustrate typographical errors. Nice touch. [8D]

wayneis

William the following is my second mistake today. The above should have read 1/16". The second was using Emperor bushings to make a Gentleman's kit. Being as the lower end of the gent bottom barrel is tapered I couldn't use the Gent parts unless I wanted to remount the barrel on the lathe and recut. I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up such a nice blank and I remembered your delema so I pulled out a Emperor kit and gave it a try. As you can see it work perfectly. So my mistake is the answer to your question, hows that for service. So grab some gent tubes and go to work.

Wayne

2005111042836_DSCN5326emperorbrown.jpg
<br />

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wayne,

You inadvertantly hit on an idea I have considered. Need your opinion, please.

If we mount blanks and turn them as gents pens (with the slope) and then see that the blank is stunning and would make a great Emporer, couldn't we remount the emporer bushing on the nib end and turn off a little material and have our Emporer?

This way if it is only an "OK" pen, it stays a Gentlemen (cost under $15ish), but the killer blanks can become Emporers AFTER we see what was "near the tube".

What do you think?[;)][;)]

wayneis

Sorry Ed, good idea but it won't quite work. The gent is tapered and the Emperor is not. The problem comes it that the tapered end is smaller than the Emperor. The thing that may work though it to turn it to close to the Emperor size, do a little sanding and depending on your choise of finish wipe a light coat of BLO or something just to get an idea what it will look like. Then if you deside it is not worthy of the Emperor finish cutting the taper for the Gent, if its good enough for the E. then finish sanding and finish.

Wayne

nilsatcraft

Sorry for not replying sooner, William. I read all of the posts yesterday just before you posted this. Our fellow IAP members have given all the answers correctly. We're waiting for the replacement tubes to come into stock and we're hoping to get those at the end of this month. The stock number on those is 050-9133. Thanks!

wdcav1952

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Another idea bites the dust![:(][:(][:(]

Thanks, Wayne, appreciate your help.

Ed,

Actually you had a great idea! Wayne just tweaked it for you. I turned some old growth mahogany for an Emperor, and am not sure it is good enough. If I decide that it is not, well it becomes a Gent.

Thank you both for the idea, and Nils thanks you for the extra sales of the Gent kits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom