An open dialogue on kitless pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

With an influx of new people making kitless pens, myself included, I wanted to start a civil discussion on what you think of the pens in general without critiquing one specific pen. I would love to hear from all members whether a seasoned maker, a new maker, a wannabe maker, an admirer or even someone that dislikes kitless pens. I want to push myself and the group to the next level, your opinions will help (even if I disagree with them :cool:).

I'll start ... I liked what I saw enough to want to go down the road of making kitless pens. The design possibilities really excited me, I have tons of ideas I want to attempt. I like the simple 'sticks with a clip', their sleekness and simplicity appeal to me. I also like the pens that utilize a number of materials/colours and add metal embledishments. I don't like overly ornate pens but haven't seen many posted here.

A few of the things that I dislike are being able to see the internal threads through the pen and more so the joint between the finial and cap (when using the same material) that you get when you recess the clip ring, I honestly don't see the need to hide the clip ring and I think the result doesn't look good.

AK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

For me, pens are as much a canvas for artistic embellishments as they are writing instruments. The attraction of eliminating kit components is that it leaves more pen for embellishing.

I aspire to create well proportioned pens that flow smoothly with a shape that looks balanced and pleasing to the eye. As a woodturner, I could find thousands of years worth of examples to inspire designs. It's a little tougher with pens. I find a lot of inspiration in Japanese pens.

Like you, unless the pen is a demonstrator, I don't want to see interior components or evidence of machining when looking at the pen. Seams in the material only bother me if they are not well done or the material is not suitable for seaming.

I aspire to extend my efforts to the interior mechanical aspects of the pen. I want to get away from converters and cartridges completely. I would like to try fabricating my own nibs and feeds. When you think that the early pioneers were able to fashion serviceable nibs / feeds in the 1800's, I have to think it would be possible to do it today.

I want to explore new materials beyond resins and wood. Things like metal, enamels, glass and composites.

For me, kitless is not as much about creating a kitless pen as it is about an opportunity to learn a lot of new techniques and new ways to do things. The fact that I end up with a satisfactory pen from time to time is incidental. I'm a maker, not a collector and I make for fun, not profit.

Ed

Jim Burr

Banned
I have almost everything I need to start, but my pressure pot got here before my acrylic rod did, so...
I have the program in mind of starting with the sure like Wizard does...they seem straight forward, and IMHO!!! the easier of the variety out there...gotta start somewhere! But I like metal in pens, aluminum, brass, copper of one form or another will follow shortly. The flat tops are very classic looking, but dome or pointed tops are gaining points. I agree with you on the threads showing on the cap...maybe there is a good fix or away to polish them out? I guess it's not seeing the threads, but when they look frosted takes away from the look. As I start cutting threads, there will no doubt be the same issues the long-timers face!
The clip ring kind of acts like an accent IMO so if someone likes the accent...good, if it's not the look for that idea...hide it.

InvisibleMan

When I made my first, I didn't actually even like the look of them. I just wanted to play with cool tools and make a pen all by myself with no kit. Matter of fact, I had never really even used a fountain pen before and assumed they were a huge PITA to use, clean, take care of, etc.

As soon as my first custom pen touched paper, I was hooked, even though the pen was a piece of junk (10 turns to get the cap off:redface:). I now just sit and write for no good reason, usually with at least a couple of pens at a time. I'm now a fountain pen nerd, and happy to admit it:biggrin:.

I just sold my first custom fountain pen too. That was a happy day when somebody actually wanted to buy a pen I made from scratch. I'm motivated to make more. It's fun and rewarding. I wish I had time to make more, but with all of my other hobbies and side projects, it doesn't happen very often.

I'm just starting and the reason I started is because I get more enjoyment out of it per dollar spent. I wouldn't say it's cheaper. My biggest concern is durability. My first one broke when someone screwed the cap on too tight. The other issue I have is the fact that I like thin pens. I try make then as thin as possible but I have to get past my personal taste and try something different. For me it's about the process the end result is just a bonus. At least it will be when one of them comes out like I planned. :biggrin:

plantman

:bananen_smilies022::bananen_smilies022: Andrew; I have come to a point in pen making, where a kit pen is just that, a kit pen. I have no fulfilment any more in saying I bought a kit, bought someone elses blank, someone elses refill or nib, turned it round, finished it, and made a custom pen. I have made thousands of pens that way, and there is nothing wrong with it. You dont start out in woodworking by reproducing an 18th century High Boy ( dresser ). You have to start out with something simple and easy, and work your way up to more chalanging projects, or you will quickly loose interest. Last month I was going through my collection of pens, and noticed that other than about 50 pens I had bought or custom made, they all started to look the same, just different colors, woods, or kits. The next day I looked through the libarary for treads on making kitless pens and ordered 5 sets of taps and dies. Note !! If you think you are going to go to Sears, HF, or your local big box store to purchase these, think again !! I received the package Monday, and last night I went down to the workshop and tried a set out. I have several metal lathes so I didn't need to buy any special tooling. I was surprized how the two scrapes, although a long way from perfect, screwed together with ease. Now I will no longer have any restrictions from tube or refill length, and people will no longer be able to look at my pens and say " Oh thats a such and such pen kit ". I can still use someones beautiful blanks and pen parts, but am no longer limited in shape or design. If you read my thread on " pens with bling ", you can see how ornamenting pens can go a little to far, for my taste anyway. In conclusion, I think kitless is the next step forward when you reach a certain point in pen making, but it's not for everyone !! On the other hand, there are some very beautyful and expensive pen kits out there, and you do need to buy some parts to make a pen, unless your making an old fashion quill pen. Than you need a Turkey to get the feather from, and one to sell it to !! Peace !! Jim S

Last edited:

OOPS

Just as I don't personally like kit pens with excessive "bling," I don't appreciate many of the kitless pens because they look too bland with all of the traditional metal parts missing. (Just my opinion.) I prefer a combination of both-- a beautiful blank that "wows" people and metal hardware that compliments the blank. Most kitless have merely a clip showing, and it just doesn't do it for me.

I do enjoy looking at them, as I can appreciate the creativity that goes into some of the designs, when not encumbered by placement of the kit parts. The ones I like the best are those that include metal rings, such as those detailed in dalecamino's library submission. I think that it might be possible to make a classy kitless that is elegant, simplistic, but not dull. It is just not an avenue of pen making that I wish to explore.

Dustygoose

I have made my first because , after seeing the classic and simple ones here, I wanted one for myself. My son (17) and I both are FP nerds And both of us are practicing Caligraphy. I have held a few custom pens in my hand, and compaired to the "kit" pens, they are lighter and are fun to write with.

My first is ugly, and full of flaws, But it writes like a dream to me. I like the fact that I made it. I had a clip on it but messed up the finial so I took it off. it does post but I prefer not to post it. I used scrap pieces of PR that I casted but didn't come out right.

I learned a lot (4 hrs) but time consuming. I used my Calipers and checked sizes and depths often. I have to get back in the shop (when life allows) and refine my designs.
I won't tell y'all how pieces I messed up...lol

dexter0606

I agree with "Oops".
For the most part, I'd say probably 90% of what I've seen, they don't turn my crank. I appreciate the effort that goes into them but they don't draw my attention to them. I find that they are far too simplistic looking.
But then there are a few I've seen on the site that look pretty darn good

Let's not forget that every pen isn't required to have a fountain nib and a cap with a silver band around it. Until the Atrax kit came out I was thinking of how I could make something that basic style. We shouldn't limit ourselves to one basic style.

InvisibleMan

On the "bling" side, I can definitely see wanting more than what MOST (certainly not all) of us are putting on our custom fountain pens. That's the difference between a fountain pen and a roller ball or ballpoint for me. I like the metal and accents on a roller ball and ballpoint pen. However, I like those pens to be on the heavy side. I like the fountain pens nice and light since they don't require any pressure at all to write. In fact, pressure seems to be bad (DAMHIKT).

So, I still make kit roller ball and ballpoints. I like how they write and I like how they look. I don't like kits so much for fountain pens.

Top Bottom