open or closed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

When I make a postable cap pen, I match up the wood grain, direction of feathers, scales on the snake, color swirls on acrylic or whatever, so that it matches when the pen is closed. My thinking is that the pen is closed more often than open, and when someone first sees the pen and starts to consider buying it, it is closed. Also I do it that way because I checked out the SOYP forum and noticed that most others were doing the alignment for a match when closed.

Lately I've noticed that many capped pens are appearing in SOYP that are made so that the pen is aligned when open.

What do you think? Align for open or closed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Closed because most of the time, when you show it to somenone, it is closed and when they use it they are more looking at the writing than the grain.

Just my .02

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Closed and close when open and capped.

Creating a fountain pen involves several alignments.

First when you insert the nib-holder, look at it with the nib in place. Look at the writing position and attempt to make the "upside" of the pen the nicest looking part. The person writing wants to make an impression, so the position of the "best part" should be visible when writing. Nibs only screw in one way, so it will always repeat.

NOW, put the cap on the pen and align the pattern with the "pen portion". Make the cap.

Now, screw the finial into the cap as if it were posted, align the pattern on the back end as much as possible, bearing in mind you want the clip to be "up" (toward the writer) when the pen is in use. Otherwise it is uncomfortable.

Do all these things and you will have a pen that is "well considered". And, as you explain this process to the prospective customer, your precision gains value.

Or, slap it together and sell it for 35 bucks.

Whichever trips your trigger!!

OKLAHOMAN

Always closed, but also on fountain pens I always line up the clip with the nib when posted, I've seen so many on the SOYP posted with the clip off set, a fountain pen user wants the clip lined up with the nib.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Most that I do are 3 start but I always have the clip line up on one, its real eazy to just turn it 1/2 tread back if the grain and clip don't line up the first time.I don't do much wood so in my case I'm much more intrested in the clip and nib....

avbill

" First when you insert the nib-holder, look at it with the nib in place. Look at the writing position and attempt to make the "upside" of the pen the nicest looking part. The person writing wants to make an impression, so the position of the "best part" should be visible when writing. Nibs only screw in one way, so it will always repeat.

NOW, put the cap on the pen and align the pattern with the "pen portion". Make the cap.

Now, screw the finial into the cap as if it were posted, align the pattern on the back end as much as possible, bearing in mind you want the clip to be "up" (toward the writer) when the pen is in use. Otherwise it is uncomfortable.

Do all these things and you will have a pen that is "well considered". And, as you explain this process to the prospective customer, your precision gains value."

Ed was this English -- I'm going to have to reread this several times..:wink:

sbwertz

Even on my twist pens, I position the clip so that when the pen is in use the best grain is upward, and match the grain between top and bottom. (Unless the clip is hiding a booboo!)

Sharon

nava1uni

Even on my twist pens, I position the clip so that when the pen is in use the best grain is upward, and match the grain between top and bottom. (Unless the clip is hiding a booboo!)

Sharon

I also do this so that when the pen is in use the most beautiful grain is visible to the writer. I know that I like showing it to customers or users. It often makes them go ah when they see it line up after the nib is fully open. I also try to make the acrylic pattern do the same thing so they can see that it was made from one continuous piece of material.

Top Bottom