OOR Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I am experiencing some OOR while turning but here's the catch: I turn my barrel an everything is fine... Round as can be... (turning between centers mind you). Then I go to sand. The first few grits are ok, but as I go I get more and more OOR. Is the wood (which is all I get OOR on) sanding more on one side of the grain than the other? That's all I can think of. And if so, How do I combat this???

Thanks as always!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Are you sanding with the bushings still in the tubes? If so, the bushings could be OOR. Try removing the bushings and sand the barrel.

Wheaties

Are you sanding with the bushings still in the tubes? If so, the bushings could be OOR. Try removing the bushings and sand the barrel.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I did try that too. The blank looks great (from a round prospective) before sanding, but sanding results in OOR. I'm stumped. :confused:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Do you take them off before sanding to remove the bushings? When you tighten them down again, are you making sure they are on evenly on both ends?

Wheaties

Do you take them off before sanding to remove the bushings? When you tighten them down again, are you making sure they are on evenly on both ends?

Well I have done it both ways I guess. Both resulted in OOR as sanding went on. Maybe I was just having one of those days? I don't know. I will try another here in the next few days and see if I run into the same problem.

Randy_

I am not familiar with all of the details; but wood will definitely sand differentially. I would guess that certain species are worst about this than others and the more you sand, the more pronounced the effect will be.

Two things you could try are turn the blank closer to final diameter so you do not have to do so much sanding and try to get a smother finish with your turning tools so you can start your sanding with a finer grit of sandpaper. If you are turning with a gouge, you might want to learn to use a skew?)

KenV

A couple things that can cause this -- one is by pressing the sandpaper into the pen - let the paper do the cutting. Trying to make wornout paper work is a good way to make this happen. The sign that says that worn out 120 is not the same as 220 -

Sand a little and then turn the bushings 90 degrees (1/4 turn) and go to the next grit in the sequence.

Last -- if your finish from turning is not smooth enouth to begin with 240 or 320 grit paper, you are doing too much sanding --

Paul in OKC

I am not familiar with all of the details; but wood will definitely sand differentially. I would guess that certain species are worst about this than others and the more you sand, the more pronounced the effect will be.

Two things you could try are turn the blank closer to final diameter so you do not have to do so much sanding and try to get a smother finish with your turning tools so you can start your sanding with a finer grit of sandpaper. If you are turning with a gouge, you might want to learn to use a skew?)

Yeah, what he said.

Top Bottom