Oops, turned too far... Now what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

iMattDaddy

Ok, just looking for a little advice, got a little heavy handed and turned down the middle of my current pen about 1/16th past the middle bushing (maybe a bit more but is a significant amount).
I'm thinking my options are to build up that edge with CA, if I can even build it up that much... Or to turn it down further to a slimline kit. Or just deal with the difference which I don't really want to do.
Maybe there are other options that I'm not considering. Looking forward to hearing some tips. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You can continue turning the material off in the area where you went too deep, and then replace the removed material with a cosmetic "feature" ring. You might have to do the same to the other end of the barrel, and to the second barrel if this is a two barrel pen.

EDIT: I see that Derek was typing as I was and he got in before me .... same idea

SteveG

Try turning some of the overturned blank down to the tube, about 1/8 inch wide (or as wide as is needed to "erase" your boo-boo). Do a neat job of that in prep for drilling and adding a segment of contrasting material (a.k.a. OOOPS! band). Do a matching one on the other barrel, so it does not sit there by itself, figuratively crying out "OOOPS!!". This way, you will have an enhanced design, instead of a failed attempt. :wink::biggrin:

iMattDaddy

Thanks.

Ah, I see. Haven't made a custom ring yet, but there's a first for everything. This is for the Gold Summit pen kit. Was planing to do a pen and pencil set in ebony, so whatever I decide to do, I'll have to duplicate on the other. I kind of like the idea of a custom ring. I'll have to search for some pics showing examples.

iMattDaddy

Here's what I'm working with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 213

iMattDaddy

It is finished

This pen fought me until the very end and then stuck out its tongue at me still. Here's what I ended up with after several fix attempts. I was able to build up the CA to meet the ring just fine which was my initial issue, but once I polished it up I found that the color of the wood was splotchy (from some areas being sanded all the way down to the wood and refinished, and some not getting all the way through). I messed up several times along the way, and while this was my most frustrating pen, it was also the one that I've learned the most from. So instead of having a mismatched size to the center ring, I decided to put a contrasting wood ring in its place. Because the pen is ebony, just about any wood would be a good contrast, so I picked walnut. After putting the new ring on, I tried my best to just keep everything simple and get a finished pen out of the whole thing. I liked the way the new ring looked, the finish was coming out nicely, and when I was all done it came time to assemble it.

During assembly, everything went together easily, and everything went in straight. But when I put in the transmission, it cracked on one side. Ahhh! I told you it stuck it's tongue out at me. So it now wears a scar for all the trauma I caused it.

Thank you all for the tips you gave me on this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 156

Skie_M

Before mounting on the lathe .... ream the ends of the brass tubes to remove the surface burr from sanding, and ensure that you have removed any traces of GLUE that may be inside the brass tube as well. Failing to do either may result in an over-expansion of the brass tube which may crack the barrel material as it's being pressed, which gives cracks like that during assembly.

Top Bottom