Oops help needed here too!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I was just turning a nice piece of Mesquite I got from Dario and had it done except for the tenon and sanding. I just need to make one last tiny pass with the skew at the nib end and... POP! A piece about half the size of a dime flew into Never Never Land. I can't find it for the life of me. This is an 8mm Designer (Euro, Mont Blanc, etc., w/Parker refill).

2005780146_mesq_oops.jpg

I really hate to waste this blank and I need some suggestions as to how to salvage the pen at this point. I've thought about maybe turning off the bottom part of the blank and gluing on something else, but I'm not sure what would look good with it. All help would be greatly appreciated and I know this bucnh should be able to come up with some jim dandy ideas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arehrlich

You might want to try parting the blank just above the breach and add a nice contrasting wood. Something dark would help set off the nib end. A piece of black - or white - acetate might work well also.

Alan

dubdrvrkev

You could make it a comfort pen and add rubber grip. Personally I would add a dark walnut, blackwood, or maybe find the cut-off from trimming the blank and see of you can get some grain close.

alamocdc

Thanks, all. Kevin, I have some ebony so I think I'll try that, but I'm done for the evening. Nothing has gone right today. First my Harley wouldn't start after lunch (starter froze up) and now this. I think I'll just veg for the rest of the night.

Dario

Billy,

I agree that a dark wood will probably work best....black if possible. Maybe you can try using some of the ironwood you got too [;)].

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Don't you just hate it when that happens.. especially to such a nice piece of wood...
I agree with the above a nice dark piece of wood...
I might stay away from ebony though because at that thickness the chances of it cracking later on are pretty good... also ebony does not take a finish well because it is sooo oily...
a piece of african blackwood or maybe texas ebony might be a better choice..

alamocdc

Yes, Tom I do hate when it happens. So far it's only happened a few times, but I've been able to find the ejected piece and replace it with no sign of the break. Not so lucky this time. The only problem with using African Blackwood or Texas Ebony is that I don't have any. I have two Ebony blanks (at least I think that's what they are) that came as Premium blanks with a sampler pack from PSI. I'm planning on dipping this in lacquer for the finish. I don't have any black corian or PVC either, and my black PR homebrew is pearled so it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Rifleman1776

Welcome to the world of extreme frustration. [:(] It seems this happens only with the best and most beautiful pieces of wood. This is what keeps the wood suppliers and likker stores in business. I hate it when that happens. [:(!]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I know what you mean about wasting the blank, but from past experience,whenever I put an "oops" ring on a pen it never looks right.(Ieventually find the piece later and that really ticks me off.
I would set the blank aside in hopes the missing piece will show up in the last place you look.
If not, scap it and remember to pay more attention to the scuffing, and tube gluing process in the future.

alamocdc

I think what upset me the most was that I saw where it landed... I thought... but couldn't find it anywhere. I always sand my tubes really well with 80 grit paper. I don't bounce them off the grinder like you do, Eagle, but I've never really had a holding problem before.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Welcome to the world of extreme frustration. [:(] It seems this happens only with the best and most beautiful pieces of wood. This is what keeps the wood suppliers and likker stores in business. I hate it when that happens. [:(!]

Strange. Only a portion of what I wrote got posted. Balance was not important. Just some humor and clarification that my 'likker' joke was just that, I use very little alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom