Oops!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

byounghusband

Well,
I finally was able to get into the shop and start working on a couple pens......:D
I was drilling some Acrylic blanks from Ernie at Beartooth Woods, when I guess I had a lapse in concentration. [:I] (No injury to me!!):)
I was having issues with shavings getting stuck to the drill bit just below the chuck, so I was using a piece of scrap wood to knock them off... Anyway, I guess I left the bit in the blank too long and I got the blank STUCK ON THE BIT!!!!! [:0][:0]
2007111022340_PB090001.jpg

Oh CRAP!! Now what???

I took the bit out of the drill press and the blank was STUCK!!!!!!!!!

I tried heating the bit with a torch to see if that would release the blank. NO GO!!!

So I had to cut it with a hack saw...
20071110223750_PB090002.jpg

Its FREE!!!!!
20071110223828_PB090003.jpg

1 half blank is toast.... The other half will make a Sierra, instead of the Euro it was supposed to be.... Half a save....[^]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Richard & Mark,
LOL!! Yeah hopefully it won't happen to you.... Just keep your mind about you and don't worry about shavings until the blanks is COMPLETELY drilled......[;)]

sparhawk

you may be able to glue the halves back together and still use the blank. Ive glued worse pieces than halves together and had them turn out okay. (but not always!)

Kadmos

You could turn a dozen matching toothpics to go with that Sierra. That would make for an interesting set

gerryr

It looks, and from your description sounds like you were using a dull bit that overheated, partly melting the plastic which then solidified. If you're having trouble with shavings sticking to the bit, it's a almost certainly due to overheating.

byounghusband

Gerry,
I'll bet you are right on target!! I have <s>ab</s>used this bit and it is a Bradpoint bit.... Seeing as I heated it up red to try to get it unstuck, I will probably toss it, as it's integrity has most likely been compromised.

Frank,
What speed would you recommend? I have never had a problem before, but if I am drilling TOO fast, educate me....[;)]

Bob in Sachse

gerryr

I drill acrylics at about 1100 rpm and have no problems at all. I don't and won't use bradpoints because you can't re-sharpen them with a DD and what few I've used gave me nothing but trouble. Once was even dull when I got it, I mean really dull.

Bob,
Glad to see that someone else has done my screw up... I had a bit get stuck same way.. too hot and melted into the plastic... only instead of using a hacksaw, I thought why not just put the bit in my hand drill and reverse the bit - should work right [:(!].. I clamped the bit in the hand drill, clamped the blank in a vise and promptly twisted the chuck off the drill... [:(][xx(] didn't budge the bit.... wound up losing both.[V]

But I learned to keep the blank cool... I now add a little water as others have suggested. [:p][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom