oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

Hi Everyone
In my haste to wrap up the ton of pens I am giving ou this Christmas, I inadvertanly put the wrong clip on a slimline pen, satin instead of chrome. :( It probably would not look too bad, but i am giving it as a set and I did not screw up the pencil. I do not have a disassembler, is there an easy way to get that clip off without destroying the blank?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregD

Yes, use a drill bit as Frank suggested or 1/4" rod. Hold the tube (blank)with your hand. Wrap the rod with a mallet a few times and the cap should pop out giving you access to the clip.

punkinn

Okay since we're on the take-the-darn-pen-apart tutorial page... I've had success in disassembly (without the disassembling tool kit) in all but getting the actual refill action/converter thingie out alive. Tip installed on one end and action in the other, what's the process for rescuing them both (and the wood) intact? [xx(]

Nancy

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nancy-first, get the 29-piece Transfer Punch Set from Harbor Freight as soon as practical! It is frequently on sale for less than $10 and will help you disassemble almost any pen. It pays for itself the first time you use it. For now, though, removing the transmission is fairly straight forward. Use the same "reversed" drill bit system as described above. If memory serves me right, a 1/8" drill bit or rod (from a hardware store) will go down through the transmission so you can know out the tip first. Make sure to catch it in a cloth. I have one that went flying and hasn't surface in over a year! Next, take a 1/4" bit or rod and go in through the tip end, knocking out the transmission. Both pieces should be reuseable. [8D]

punkinn

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Nancy-first, get the 29-piece Transfer Punch Set from Harbor Freight as soon as practical! It is frequently on sale for less than $10 and will help you disassemble almost any pen. It pays for itself the first time you use it. For now, though, removing the transmission is fairly straight forward. Use the same "reversed" drill bit system as described above. If memory serves me right, a 1/8" drill bit or rod (from a hardware store) will go down through the transmission so you can know out the tip first. Make sure to catch it in a cloth. I have one that went flying and hasn't surface in over a year! Next, take a 1/4" bit or rod and go in through the tip end, knocking out the transmission. Both pieces should be reuseable. [8D]

DCBM.... thanks VERY much. I appreciate the help. There's a Harbor Freight about 15 miles from me, so I anticipate a trip there in the next few days. [;)] Interesting name you have there... care to expound? [?][:)]

Happy holidays,
Nancy

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
DCBM.... thanks VERY much. I appreciate the help. There's a Harbor Freight about 15 miles from me, so I anticipate a trip there in the next few days. [;)] Interesting name you have there... care to expound? [?][:)]

Happy holidays,
Nancy
[/quote]

Nancy,

Be careful what you ask for! [:D]

smoky10

Like Frank, I've heard that using an old drill bit works well for taking pens apart. Even though I,and Frank, have never had to take one apart I know you can buy those cheap bit sets for about $5.00. I can't lie like that, I have beat the devil out of a set of bits taking pens apart.[}:)][:I]

punkinn

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />Like Frank, I've heard that using an old drill bit works well for taking pens apart. Even though I,and Frank, have never had to take one apart I know you can buy those cheap bit sets for about $5.00. I can't lie like that, I have beat the devil out of a set of bits taking pens apart.[}:)][:I]

LOL Now don't you feel better having come clean on that? [;)]

Mikey

Please use a mandrel or something other than a drill bit. I did that to a Baron that I installed the litttle chrome bushing backwards between the threaded part of the front and the tube. As I smacked it out, The parts took off and I realized that I had sliced my finger open good.[:(]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Nancy-first, get the 29-piece Transfer Punch Set from Harbor Freight as soon as practical!

Over here http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11504 in Casual Conversation, Ryan posted that HF had them on sale for $5.99

airrat

Harbor didnt have the big punch set when I was there. I got the 10 piece one and it works great. I use it to clean out tubes too.

I did buy the dissassembly kit for slimlines at first. I do like useing the tool for the transmission. I didnt have a press so I put it up to the lathe and turn the tailstock in until it "pops" out.

GBusardo

success! Top popped off nicely, but i have to say, I almost lost the dang thing and almost cut my finger on the drill bit :) But.... I did save the pen!
Thanks again

jkoehler

fine time for this article.
i just finished wrecking a slimline trying to take it apart.
i guess i need to find one of thise transfer punch sets.
anyone here in Canada know where we can get one similar to the one from Harbour Frieght?
i am accident prone on a good day so i don't think that i want to try the drill bit option.
i should probably change my name to Tim Taylor.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom