oops!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

Is there any way to pull a transmission out without destroying the pen? I learned a lesson today...if the instructions sent with a kit are not clear, go to the net and see if there are better instructions for that kit there!
Grumble, grumble....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

most can be carefully tapped out using a removal tool

Tap out the nib from the tip if installed
then take a metal rod as close to the inside diam of the pen as possible and while holding the pen and rod in your fist, smartly smack the rod down on a solid surface.

G

I hope it's not an American classic from Wood Craft that's a whole new ball game but possible.

Carole in VA

It's a European Gold Top twist. I think I might as well chalk this one up to a learning experience and toss the lower barrel. Thanks guys.

Gary

That's what I have done in the past. Unless it's a prized barrel that I just have to try and reclaim, I would rather put the work in on a new one and avoid the work and aggravation of getting it apart.

Originally posted by Carole in VA
<br />It's a European Gold Top twist. I think I might as well chalk this one up to a learning experience and toss the lower barrel. Thanks guys.

dougle40

Carole,
If you can find a rod that's the smae diameter as the hole in the transmission , insert it into the transmission and down to the tip and , holding the pen in your hand , hit the rod with a hammer to remove the tip , then find a rod the same as the I/D of the tube and do the same thing .
This works for me , then save all the parts for the next time .

Fred in NC

I bought a 1/8" brass rod from Lowe's, and cut a piece, I think about 5" or so. I use that to push the tip out. To push out the transmission I use a 1/4" bolt. The cheap bolts are actually a bit smaller in diameter, and fit into the tube.

elody21

For the bottom on a European pen if the nip is already in the only way I have been able to get it out is cut it in half! Careful not to cut the transmission! I then use an OLD 7mm mandrel to place in the tube and tap it out with a regular hammer while griping it tightly in your hand. Sometimes this works,if not I usually use a dremmel cutting wheel to score the brass tube after taking the wood or whatever off of the tube. Then I take 2 needle nose pliers to pry it off. This works for the nib also.
Any way you do it it is a pain. Good luck.

G

WHOA! elody1 don't do that anymore.
When you can't reach the nib with anything 1/8th rod works,keep pushing in the tramnsmission until you can whack the nib out with a rod.
Once the nib is out drill a hole in a piece of wood (I use a scrap 8mm pen blank) and I slip the blank with the too far tranny on my mandrel, put the 8mm tube over the tranny,lock the tailstock down and press the tranny out.
If you are afraid of benind your mandrel(so far I haven't) you can do the same thing on the drill press or rig up something similar on your pen press.
THe transmissions slip out easyily.
Pressing will do less damage than whacking them.
1/4" rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom