Oopps... Help/Suggestions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustier

I just finished my first Baron. It's Red Mallee Burl from LeeTree (I got some beautiful wood from him) and I spent the better part of the day trying to get a proper finish on it. The friction finish would wear off before I could even get it off the lathe so I was determined to get a CA finish and do it right. I can't count the number of times I sanded off the finish to start over before I finally got it right.[:I] Now being so very pleased with myself I promptly went over to assemble my work of art. Yes I did part away the CA from the bearings, etc but there was apparently just a little bit of CA protruding from the cap and when I went to press the center band on, I could almost hear it. The CA right next to the band has lifted just enough to make a big ugly white spot. I'm sure I could get the cap off but have no idea how to get the center band off. The plastic insert keeps me from inserting something and beating it off. Any ideas on how to fix my disaster?

200574215713_Baron%201.jpg

[:I]Still haven't gotten around to working on photo quality.

2005742278_Baron%20Oops.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Or if you can wait since I see you are in Charlotte go to Harbor Freight and get a set of their punches.
It's a $6.00 pen dismantling tool.
(I only suggest this because you may want to use the drill bit again)

timdaleiden

Don't ya' just hate when that happens????[:(!]

Once you find something the proper diameter, you will get the CB off. Then to fix the CA, just wick some thin CA underneath the white spot.

You may have to touch up the surface afterwards.

For future reference, spin/twist the ends of the barrels on some 400 grit sand paper(on a flat surface) before assembling.

JimGo

Other than that mishap, the pen looks GREAT! I'll second Eagle's recommendation, too...the punches have been a VERY good investment for me.

MDWine

HF may not have the greatest tools over all, but there are several items in there that are worth their weight in gold! Those punches being one of them!
(Thanks to JimGo and DCBluesMan! [;)] )

Sawdustier

Thanks for all the suggestions, I knew you all would come up with something[:D]
I didn't want to fight traffic to HF so I opted for the drill bit...not to worry though, it came out of Hubby's tool box[}:)] Well it's not like it was any good for actually drilling and I did ask first. It worked great and didn't damage the plastic part at all. It's so nice to have a place where people solve all your problems. Thanks again !

its_virgil

But, Next time you are passing by HF you should stop in and get a set of those transfer punches. Every size I have ever needed to disassemble a pen was in the set, and I've made just about every kit out there. I would not even consider giving up those transfer punches.
fo a good turn daily
Don
Originally posted by Sawdustier
<br />Thanks for all the suggestions, I knew you all would come up with something[:D]
I didn't want to fight traffic to HF so I opted for the drill bit...not to worry though, it came out of Hubby's tool box[}:)] Well it's not like it was any good for actually drilling and I did ask first. It worked great and didn't damage the plastic part at all. It's so nice to have a place where people solve all your problems. Thanks again !

its_virgil

I use the 28 piece transfer punch set: ITEM 3577-1VGA. It has come through not matter what size I need. I actually have two sets, one in the holder/stand and one set strown around the shop.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom