Only thing a Credit Card is good for! OR 1st pen posted on this site - Be kind!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I have been lurking in these hallowed cyber walls for about two years now. Maybe I'm brave enough to show a recent pen(?) We'll see how it goes. :rolleyes:

In advance: Sorry if the pictures seem fuzzy or distorted. It is NOT intentional. It is only my picture taking abilities or lack there of.... :frown:

I like working with Corian (type) solid surface materials. (For whatever reason) It might have come naturally as I sold cabinets and the tops for them for over 25 years in retail.

Here's a Cigar pen I made for a friend. (He bought 15 pens for Christmas presents!) I have seen pens made with guitar pick material. Haven't been able to afford a sheet of this so I like to use a substitute. Credit Cards or spent gift cards. (Has anyone thought of this?) I doubt if this is an original thought. Anyway this pen contains an old Visa Card. I figure it's about all there are good for anyway. Any suggestions for another material one can use to highlight? I have experimented with copper and aluminum sheets cannot seem to get all it glued just right a few have blown out. I use thick CA....? Epoxy glues are probably better....??

I'll include the little jig I made for gluing, before and after pictures so to speak. The "pen clamping jig" is from solid surface material.

I'll accept any and all criticisms and or hints to make improvements on making solid surface type pens.

Thanks!
Randy :cool:

Attachments

• Starting out.jpg
    Starting out.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 381
  • 2nd Card another angle.jpg
    2nd Card another angle.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 490
  • It's time to turn2.jpg
    It's time to turn2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Rob's Pen +.jpg
    Rob's Pen +.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 585
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

NO reason NOT to show a pen like that. Very nice work.
Show us more!

My local cabinet shop gave me som corian last week so I gave it a a try myself. I used corian on the lower barrel and Cherry on the upper barrel. Kind of gave it that "kitchen" feel. The cabinet shop manager was very happy when I gave him the pen!

Regarding the use credit cards. I believe they have been used in this method previously but it's still a great use for them! I'm not sure if you have heard of Dave Ramey. He has TV and radio shows that focus on getting out of debt. Anyway, he has promoted contests in the past where viewers can send in pictures and videos of unique ways of destroying credit cards...you might want to send in a picture of your pen!

Atherton Pens

Thanks for sharing this idea. I had not thought of using credit cards, but when seen in your pictures, I can see some interesting options.

Great looking pen, too.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Congrats for figuring that one out.. Yes it has been done here before.

Another GREAT source for similar material is the plastic "for sale" and other type of signs you can pick up at any walmart/etc type of store.

THarvey

Great looking pen. Thanks for sharing.

Another source of this card stock is from motel keycards. Whenever, I travel, I keep the swipe card from the motel. That gives me a steady supply of cards for segmenting.

its_virgil

Keep a look out in the dumpster at the local engraving ahop that makies those signs for office doors and desks. They are often multiple layers of different colors and the drops from the sign making go to the dumpster. Or, go inside and ask to see what he has as unusable and goint to the trash.

Plastic lids from drink bottles...soft drinks, juice, sports drinks, and the list goes on forever. They come in a variety of colors.

Keep your eves open for any flat thin material or use a combination.

When I need to make an accent ring I just say, "Honey, may I borrow your credit card?" keeps the charges down:biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Congrats for figuring that one out.. Yes it has I been done here before.

Another GREAT source for similar material is the plastic "for sale" and other type of signs you can pick up at any walmart/etc type of store.

Top Bottom